HELP! What's wrong with my 25hp Kawasaki?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by jtkplc, Apr 10, 2010.

1. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

The 25hp Kawasaki on my 52" Wright Stander has been acting up. It doesn't run good at all, it acts like it's not getting enough fuel. In fact the fuel filter won't fill up right. Today when I went to start it it wouldn't turn over and then fuel leaked out somewhere around the exhaust. I then checked the oil dipstick and fuel had flooded the oil. Is this possibly a carburetor problem or what? Can anyone help me diagnosis it?

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

1. Float bowl mechanism sticking.
    2. You need to change the oil and filter before you run it at all.

3. jtkplc

Changing the oil goes without saying. What do I do about the float bowl mechanism?

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

5. jtkplc

Thank you for making me aware of my need of providing you with my equipment info. I will post that tomorrow. Thank you both for your help thus far.

6. jtkplc

Here is the information from the engine and carburetor:
    ENGINE
    FH721V-CS33-R
    E/NO - FH721VB57666
    CARBURETOR
    266-592

I'm confused on these two things that each of you have posted about 'Float bowl mechanism sticking' and 'replace the float needle valve'. Are these the same thing or different? What exactly do I do? Is this something that I can do or should I take it in to my dealer? Also, should I just replace the entire carb or this that overkill?

7. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

its easy to do. Your just replacing the float and needle and blowing out the carb with carb cleaner.

8. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

It appears you have never done this type repair before, With all due respect this two barrel carb is NOT one to learn on.

I don't believe you want to spend $321.59 plus tax and shipping for a new carb since all your's needs is cleaning and a couple parts and gaskets.

I suggest taking it into your dealer and let them perform the repair properly and without issues....

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yup, take it to the dealer.

10. crook038

crook038 LawnSite Member

It may be the electric solenoid shutoff. If you look at the carb there is a barrel type object with two wires coming out of it. Disconnect the wires and unscrew the solenoid. There is a plunger and spring that the solenoid acts upon. Remove the plunger and spring from the carb and check for foreign debris. If stuck partially open it will flood the engine when shut off but not provide enough fuel for the engine to run. This would be my first check. I added a link to the service manual, the picture is for a Kawasaki FH721D but the solenoid is the same, it is #6. Page 46 in the service manual will help you.
    Sean

[​IMG]

http://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Kaw...SAKI_SERVICE_REPAIR_MANUAL 99924-2078-01.pdf

Last edited: Apr 15, 2010