Help! Which Lazer Z ????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TTG, Aug 1, 2005.

1. TTG

TTG LawnSite Member
    from MA

I am trying to decided on my first 60in. ZTR, went down to my local Exmark dealer and was impressed. The salesman really knew his stuff, answered all of my questions, and went over the machine with me front to back, told me how he carried over $80 K in parts and 2 full time mechanics and 1 part time. He also said he totaly understands how important down time is , and does his best to get repairs done quickly and offers loaner ZTR's when in a real pinch.
    Basically everthing you want hear.
    He told me his most popular lazer was the Liquid Cool 27hp Kawa.at a price of $10,399.00
    He then gave me a price on the Lazer XS 31hp Briggs& Stratton which has bigger Parker /Ross fan cooled wheel motors, A stronger frame than the L/C (same frame in the Deisel model) and it comes with the Delux full suspension seat, this model is $10,499.
    The L/C mows 6 acres per hour @10 mph
    The XS mows 7acer per hour @12 mph
    What is wrong with this picture??
    Why does $100 get you so much more?
    I told him that over the years I have owned many Kawa's and was over all happy with them, I cant say that about Briggs, he told be that the 31 hp is made by daihatsu, I looked and yes it did say made in Japan.
    It seems like a scam. What do you think?

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Exmark tests everythiing, they have ran that engine through countless tests to verify if it is good enough for their machine. You still get the same warranty either way. (eXmark dvd) Demo the two, see which one you like the best. Also, does your dealer give free loaners if you need it while yours is in the shop? Mine does! Good Luck! Just an idea!

3. TTG

TTG LawnSite Member
    from MA

Your not looking at the whole picture. Why does $100 get you so much?
    Sounds to me that Exmark is getting these motors cheap, and im afraid they just wont last as long.

4. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

If it were me I would get the 27hp AIRCOOLED, and put the other $2500 in my pocket. I don't see the need for a liquid cooled or Diesel unless the mower is running for hours without stopping. The average "lawnguy" doesn't do that, your case maybe different.

5. GNRL

GNRL LawnSite Member
    from Wi

Got my 31/60 XS for $9300. Abslutly love it! Doesnt burn much more fuel than my 23hp kawi payup

6. gumper48

gumper48 LawnSite Member

TTG-
    i recently purchased an xs with the 31 bs.
    i cut some bad 'ol bahia on a couple of ranches that doesn't get cut but once or twice a month, very high and thick sometimes wet too.
    the xs never slows down-
    the governor kicks in and keeps the revs up and she keeps on chugging-
    awsome machine-
    in the past have had other mowers like walker and an exmark z with a 25 kohler-
    no comparison-
    the 31 is a serious machine-
    i believe it will last for a long time, the engine is made by dihatsu which,i'm told makes the toyota motors.
    i got 2500 hrs out of the 25 kohler and am looking for more hrs out of the 31.
    oh- i did hit a load binder some cowboys left laying on the ground the other day and bent the blade to a 90 degree angle
    bent the cutter housing shaft also.
    lots of power.
    can't say enough good aboout the 31- approx 1.2 to 1.6 gal per hr on fuel.

gump

7. TLM

TLM LawnSite Member

I have the 27hp Lazer and if I had to do it over, I would get diesel.
    It cost me around $22-24 to fill up every 3 days.
    In the long run, you will save more in gas cost going with the diesel.
    If you have to use the Lazer 8 hrs. or more per day then the gas cost will kill you.
    It's a great mower with a great cut. I have had mine for three years and last week I had to put about 150.00 in parts to fix it.
    Get the mulching kit, it's worth it!

8. TTG

TTG LawnSite Member
    from MA

$22-24 in Gas around here only gets 12 Gal. that doesnt sound bad for 3 days.

9. soccerlawn

soccerlawn LawnSite Senior Member

Its not a scam I demoed the 31 xs and I thought it was a great machine.

And those are the exact same prices that I was told by my dealer.

I strongly suggest you look into John Deere also if there is a dealer nearby, and demo as many machines as you can so you can be fully happy with your buying decision.

10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

That's a tough choice between the two you listed. But honestly I'd go with the Lazer XS between those two. I'd rather have all the stuff the XS has for the money than a liquid cooled model without those things.

But frankly, if you are going to spend that much on a single ZTR... it would be much smarter and much more cost effective to just go with a diesel. Basically the Lazer XS with a liquid cooled 3 cylinder diesel...

To be totally honest though, if I was spending in excess of 10K, I'd just go get a Grasshopper midmount with the Kubota diesel. Either the 322D/61" or the 428D/61"....