Help....Which Mower should I use?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by vikingcompany, Mar 20, 2007.

1. vikingcompany

vikingcompany LawnSite Member
    from Toronto

I am going to be mowing a large sized property that has a very large embankment on one side that is about a 45 degree angle. I was quite surprised to hear that the previous company mowed it with a rider. I have two mowers in my fleet. An Exmark Phaser and a Sears Craftsman. Do I need to be concerned with oil not circulating through the engine on either two of these machines because of the angle these riding mowers would be on?

2. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Kabota 4x4's are high quality for hills -- probably the best.

Personally.....I would not bid on this property.

Too much trouble & risks.

3. Pietro

Pietro LawnSite Senior Member

Craftsman? Sell it while it runs. I use my Toro Z on crazy hills. Its a 60 inch with the 23 hp diesel engine. No problems. Your mowers may be too small. Just be careful and dont take too much risk, when you feel it giving out, get something different.

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We do some ditches and I noticed our Kohler 15hp tapping and discovered that when the pickup side was uphill it did make a difference. We stopped that practice and went to weed eaters.

5. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

No riders are made for 45 degrees. You may need to check the slope angle again, 45 degrees is extremely steep.

6. vikingcompany

vikingcompany LawnSite Member
    from Toronto

I'll take a picture of the hill and post it

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

You can't even walk up or down a 45 degree slope let alone operate a mower.

8. JayD

JayD LawnSite Silver Member

have those pix yet?

9. GSPHUNTER

GSPHUNTER LawnSite Senior Member

I was in Colorado last week, and we were on 45 degree slopes, and I can guarantee you would not be cutting with a ztr on that kind of grade.

10. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah a 45 degree angle would be hard to walk on let alone using a rider or Z. Whatever mower you use to cut this hill make sure it has full pressure lubrication if it doesn't you may ruin your engine. You may also want to consider that the average house roof is between 25-35 degree angle