Help with 1st time diesel

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by djlawncare, Apr 14, 2009.

1. djlawncare

djlawncare LawnSite Member

I traded my F250 for a 2001 Dodge 2500 with the 5.9turbo cummins with a 100k miles and this is my first so any advice on care and maintenace and what to be alert for problems thank you

2. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

that year is common for dropping auto trannies..

3. Lakewlc

Lakewlc LawnSite Bronze Member

yepp, we have one with 200,000 miles on her, but 5 tranies.. besides that they are great trucks

4. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

DAM! everybody I know thats got a quote on getting one was anywhere from $3,000 to $5,000 maybe even more and that was just a guess before even pulling the truck in the shop..

5. mikec_j

mikec_j LawnSite Member

I have a 94 3500 5.9 turbo dump body with 165000 on it I plow with it every winter and the guy I bought it from overloaded it every chance he got... it has been through 3 trannies that I know of that being said diesels swim in oil change it every 3k, dont forget the preheating (wait to start light ),diesel fuel is dirty so change your fuel filter 2 times a year, since diesel fuel has parafin in it when it gets cold ( in to the 30's) make sure you use a fuel treatment or it will "freeze" not really but the parafin solidifies (think bacon grease a couple hours after breakfast) find a good mechanic they do get expensive to work on when turbos go bad or injectors go bad. They are made for pulling but not real quick of the line. Just some thoughts......

6. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

The first thing is trade the Dodge in on a Ford :laugh:

The best thing to do is change all the fluids and filters even if the dealer or who ever said they have been changed.

7. WalkerMike98

WalkerMike98 LawnSite Member

Fuel pressure guage. Go to the cumminsforum and register. You can find anything you want or dont want to know.

8. pclawncare

pclawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Flush your tranny regularly. I got a 5.9 with 230,000 mi working on its third tranny it was put in at 140000 and i bought it shortly after that i have changed the fluid every year just like i do my other trucks that i pull alot with although this one only sees a trailer once or twice a week. This tranny has stayed good so far and still shifts firm.

9. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

You do not need to change the oil every 3k, that is a big waste of money. Every 6-7k is fine. Diesel wont Gel up til low low temperatures in like single digits, so youre also wrong there.

Diesels are super easy to maintain, and actually not real expensive to maintain either, unlike some will say. Wait to start light isnt a big deal. On normal summer spring or fall days, you only need to wait in the morning, the rest of the day just flip it over.

The Cummins is a great engine. (Im glad you spelled it right) It will last you a long time if you take care of it, and when youre ready for a speedster, by golly Its not hard with those years!

10. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

yea dont ask Cummins questions on here...you get a lot or people who think they know what they are talking about...but dont

check out cumminsforums.com for quality truck related advice