Help with 26EFI decision

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by chariot, May 28, 2002.

1. chariot

chariot LawnSite Senior Member

Just when I thought that I had decided on the 60" Lazer with 25 HP Kawasaki, I was also going to go ahead and get the suspension seat. I now realize that I can get the 26EFI with the suspension seat standard for right around $1200 more than the 25HP Kawasaki, before price of adding the seat. I have been reading post from doing a search and saw that some people had trouble with the fuel pumps on this engine. I did not notice a post on this that was very recent though. I guess Exmark will know the best if people are having problem but I want others to respond also. I was wondering if anyone is having any trouble with these engines and if you feel it is worth the extra $$$. From information I have found the 25 HP Kawasaki is producing 41.3 ft. lbs. and the 26 EFI is just ahead at 41.6 ft. lbs. Will this difference be noticed or is the primary benefit fuel consumption? With the EFI model coming with the suspension seat I am basically looking at only $700 more for EFI.

Is it worth it?

Thanks

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

If you do it, you'll have NO regrets! Zip, zero, zilch. There has only been one instance on here of a fuel pump failing, which I think was just a fluke, and the warranty took care of it for him. Everyone, and I mean EVERYone who has these units loves them,- myself included. I sort of had the same line of thinking when I bought mine. for just x amount more, you get the fuel injection, plus some other extras. Well, let's look at exactly what your getting with the fuel injection system. First, your getting a proficient running motor with a rated 3 extra usable horsepower because of the system. You get sure fire cold starts, without hesitation, and a great thottle response with no loading up (important to engine life) and no backfiring and other related attributes of a carb. system. Now, last, but SURELY not least, let's look at your fuel consumption. This is where the EFI really shines. I can run nearly all day, steady, on one tank of gas. You add this up over a weeks time, a month, a season, and the many years that I'll own this machine, and that extra 1200, or however much, will MORE than pay for itself many times over. And, of course, let's not forget the simple things, like the seat that comes standard. This is a definite asset (no pun intended) in working those long days, or even those short days in rougher conditions. Anyway, I hope this helps, and I know they're selling an awful lot of these units, because I see alot of them out there. Everyone that has them says the same thing. ;)

3. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

chariot:

There is a lot of value in the 26-hp Lazer Z EPS. You get, as you mentioned, the suspension seat, the canister air filter, and all of the benefits of the fuel injected engine.

I haven't heard of a lot of problems with fuel pumps on the 26 Kohler, but that doesn't mean they're not happening. We don't see many of the claims, because they all go through Kohler. Check to see if they are specifically referencing the fuel pump or the fuel pump relay. If the relay is not functioning correctly, the fuel pump won't work like it should.

Kohler has had problems with some of the older, first generation 26-hp engines. They are working on getting these problems resolved. The new 26's are much better than the older models, and they are doing a better job of supporting this engine. I wouldn't be afraid to purchase a 26-hp Kohler because it is evident that they want to develop this line of fuel injected engines.

One of the main advantages of the fuel injected 26 is the fuel savings, but another advantage is its performance when cutting. If you're comparing the 25 Kaw and the 26 Kohler in an average lawn, you may not see much of a difference in the performance of these two engines; however, if you are cutting in thick, tall, and/or wet grass, you will see a difference here. Since the engine is fuel injected, it gets the fuel when in needs it most. As a result, it won't bog down quite as easy when cutting tall, thick, and/or wet grass. In this case, the numbers (i.e. - torque ratings) don't really tell us much here.

Is the 26 Kohler worth the extra $700? It depends upon the application. If you can stay on top of your properties and don't allow them to get out of hand, you would be just fine with the 25 Kaw. If you have a few lawns that get away from you from time to time or if you are going to do a lot of mulching or bagging, it's nice to have the extra power of the 26 Kohler. If you have any other questions, feel free to create another post or e-mail me at Dustin.Schwab@exmark.com.

Here to help,

Dustin Schwab
    Exmark Customer Support

4. chariot

chariot LawnSite Senior Member

I just found another dealer that has the EFI for just $750 more than the Kawasaki. I guess you know what I will be getting. I now have to either get a loan for part until I sell current mower or get rid of current mower first. Thanks for all the help and information. Any other information will also be appreciated as always. Thanks

5. eXmark

chariot:

Financing is always an option. We offer several different plans through our financing partners. To view all of our financing/leasing options, just click on the link below:

www.exmark.com/ez-commercial.htm

You can also calculate your monthly payments here.

Don't be afraid to investigate your local financing options either. Local credit unions or banks sometimes offer very competitive rates, and all it takes is a phone call of save you hundreds of dollars.

Hope this helps,

Dustin
    Exmark Customer Support

6. MJ LANDSCAPING

MJ LANDSCAPING LawnSite Member

:blob3: JUST DO IT. YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT. THE EFI IS A STRONGER MACHINE COMPARED TO THE 25 HP CARB. YOU WILL NOTICE THE SPEED AND POWER IN A BIG WAY. AS FOR PROBLEMS WITH A FUEL PUMP, MINE HAS 1000 HOURS ON IT AND NO PROBLEMS. MY ONLY ADVICE TO YOU IS DONT LET THE GAS RUN OUT OR THE INJECTORS START TO SUCK AIR AND THEN YOU HAVE A BIG PROBLEM GETTING STARTED. OTHER THAN THAT IT IS A GREAT MACHINE. THE SEAT ALONE IS WORTH IT. WHEN YOU DECIDE A FEW YEARS FROM NOW THAT YOU NEED ANOTHER MACHINE, SPEND THE MONEY AND GET THE XP DIESEL. ITS A LITTLE PRICY BUT THAT MACHINE DOES CIRCLES AROUND THE EFI. BY THE WAY THE SEAT IS AWESOME. "EXMARK KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK".

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Is this true?

I do it all the time on my 27hp LC Kawi. Mow till one tank is totally empty and the engine starts to sputter.....quick reach down and turn the fuel selector valve to the other tank, then apply full choke for about 3 seconds...it recovers and you have another 5 hours of mowing on the other tank.

You cant do the above with the EFI models? (I know there isn't a choke!) I could see not doing it with the Diesels, but this would definately prevent me from eventually owning an EFI on any mower! Is there a solution to this?

Thanks

8. eXmark

MJ,

Thanks for the evaluation! Good news is that the re-start issues after running the unit out of fuel have been fixed. Kohler has given the go ahead to eliminate one fuel filter (not necessary) and we've re-routed the fuel line to eliminate the "priming" issues. The update information is available from your dealer under service bulletin 02-12, the part number for the update kit is 103-2596 and it has a list price of $9.50.

E-mail me at terry.eckert@exmark.com if you have any questions.

Thanks

Terry