Help with 5.5 Honda carb

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by roushjh, Aug 30, 2005.

1. roushjh

roushjh LawnSite Member
    from KS

I picked up an aerator yesterday, that is hardly used with a 5.5 Honda on it. It appears to have old gas left in it. It's not really bad, but I can't get any gas from the bowl through the carb.

I have spark, and it fires right up w/starting fluid. I took the carb apart partially and cleaned with carb cleaner and it still won't run. Any other ideas?

Thanks!

2. cariboulou

cariboulou LawnSite Member

sounds like a prob I once had. When u take the carb apart, take off the needle and the seat I gues its called. To get at it you take off the float and use a thin flat blade screwdriver to remove it, it just unscrews normally. Clean out the passage with a wire from a wire brush, once mine had old gas that gelled over this hole and compressed air wouldnt budge it, a wire took it all out like a piece of jello but clear. that should allow fuel to get through system. let me know if this helps.

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

This Honda carb. has a plastic float hanger and seat assembly that is peened in place DO NOT TRY TO REMOVE if you do you can throw the carb. in the trash. Sounds to me the main jet is still clogged up, What I suggest is removing the carb. and take the bowl off and down inside where the bowl screw goes is the main jet. Remove it and look through it if it's clogged clean it with a piece of wire and spray it out with your choke cleaner, Also spray down inside where you took the jet out and on the choke end of the carb. there are two small ports one with a brass looking insert spray through that one also then re-assemble and give her a try.
    Good luck

4. cariboulou

sorry that is what I meant, the main jet instead of the seat. i knew it screwed in and is brass. I usually spray the needle and all carb parts with carb cleaner and take the main jet out andspray inside there too.

5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Not a problem, Just hated to see a carb. trashed, And I thought I seen you post once before about cleaning one of these the proper way.

6. roushjh

roushjh LawnSite Member
    from KS

Cariboulou-

I got this fixed with your first post. I just forgot to get back with you.

I appreciate both of you helping me out very much

THANKS BOTH!

7. cariboulou

glad to help out! :)