Help with a bid, pictures included

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by CleanCutMowers, Sep 27, 2007.

1. CleanCutMowers

CleanCutMowers LawnSite Member
    from SE MO

I have been asked to put a bid in on these retirement/townhomes. A lot of this is trimming, it will take longer than mowing I think. I talked with the lady and from what she told me the people they got now are donig it for under $200. What do you guys think about this? What should I look out for and I understand it is hard from just pictures, but what price would this run around? Any advice would be great!! Thank You in advance.

One other question, Would you take a ztr(full size exmark) on top of that hill?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. STRINGALATION

STRINGALATION LawnSite Senior Member

is that 200 per house if not how many homes
    second thought i would not cut all that for 2oo

3. CleanCutMowers

CleanCutMowers LawnSite Member
    from SE MO

Come on.....per house at 12 houses=$2400:hammerhead:

It is 12 houses, I think it could be done with two guys in 1.5 hours.

4. ExclusiveLawnCare

ExclusiveLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Looks like you landed a nice little something here. Good job.

5. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

take one house and bid it up to do all aspects of landscape maint. for a year, then take that figure and multiply by twelve(the number of homes), to get your Total contract price. Then divide by the months in the contract. and you have your monthly price.

Yes I'd put a ZTR on top of the hill, but Id cut a few strips with a wb first...

200 a cut for each property is great. but if it includes trimming the shrubs as well, it may not be that great, depends a lot on how much trimming needs to be done and the types of shrubs.

what kind of grass, Irrigated, How many ferts per year, all of these factors will affect your mowing price...

Also They say they are getting it done for 200 each....They could be price shopping. if they are not happy, what are they not happy with...are they a bunch of penny pinchers? What the other company is getting paid should have no bearing on what you bid....Different company, different profit margins.

6. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Ignore the $200 what the other LCO is getting for that. You have your costs, they have theirs. Sounds low to me, really low. Especially if you figure avg residentials yards run $35 each, you have 12 in that area, so theres your starting point. If they want shrubs, mulch, etc, go from there. Sounds like the lady is definately price shopping to me. Give her your bid and move on, unless you want to work for cheap. And yes, I would put a Z on that hill, just go slower. Another thing you might try is go to zillow.com to find out how many acres that covers. Base your starting price on your acre rates. May or may not be much of a difference, but its an option.

7. STRINGALATION

see my post is not so dumb after all
    12 houses at 35.00 is 420
    and that is not counting common areas like that island. so your responce to me indicates your cutting all that for 200 am i correct?

8. STRINGALATION

you will spend 1 hour edging alone i think. patios, walls, driveways, beds and sidewalks lot of edging captain.

9. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree. Lot of edging and trimming. Not to mention takes more time to use the blower on it all to clean it up. You mentioned 1.5 hrs is all that would take. You might want to double that time limit, if not more. as we often underestimate the time it will take rather then overestimate.

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Giving inside information on the current bid is not very nice, that is confidential information.

Now...
    The first thing that comes to mind is the rule of 3, which is to say it would appear that when a customer throws money figures around that the true figure is usually about 3 times that amount.

Then there's the 2x rule, which means anytime somebody influences the bidding process, the price just doubled.

So:
    2x rule: 12 homes, 30 minutes each, 6 hours x 60 = 360 x 2 = 720.
    Rule of 3: 200 x 3 = 600
    Yup, more than likely 600-720, somewhere in that range is probably the right price.

And if I'm wrong so be it, tit for tat, next time please don't influence the estimate.