Help with a bid/ spraying fences question.

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by mattfromNY, Jan 21, 2007.

1. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

I have to get a bid in to a large company here in town, with 600 feet of chain link fence. It needs to either be sprayed or trimmed. I would prefer to spray it (I cant do it myself but have a sub all set up to do it). My question is how often should I plan to spray it? I know this depends on how fast the grass grows, etc., but is there a basic schedule you guys go by? every 6 wks. is what I figured, but I'd like to see what you guys have to say.

2. Accu-cut Lawn Care

Accu-cut Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Trim it! It's not necessary to round up 600 ft of fenceline. I take care of 12 city ballfields and we trim miles of fenceline weekly. Just get yourself a good weedeater and go to town. After you get some practice you should be able to get six hundred feet done in a matter of minutes!:usflag:

3. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

Well Said!!! Practice makes perfect!

4. Focal Point Landscapes

Focal Point Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

I would spray it - completely eliminates the labor to weed-eat , ever. If you use a weedeater , it really is 1200 feet, considering that most fences don't have open space under the fabric , particularly if the fence has been there for some time . Just don't spray the herbicide very wide so that the sprayed area will be fairly inconspicuous . Every 6 weeks should be fine.

5. Accu-cut Lawn Care

1600 ft of fenceline is nothing to trim. In my experience, I've found that I am able to trim about 10000 ft per hour EASILY. Why should he have to outsource spraying when he can just do it himself with a weedeater?

6. gringo gardener

gringo gardener LawnSite Member

seems to me from a t&m standpoint that the chemical vegetation control along the fencelines is far more profitable than weed whipping each visit

figuring diff growth rates and having to bump line heads etc to keep a manicured look it should take me about 45 mins fore both sides ... this means that at aprox 24 visits per year possibly 26 that u would be roughly 18-19 man hrs

spray it once a month on an 8 month seasonal contract and u still only have 8 hrs ... plus it should cost u less for the chems than the whipline -LOL!

7. Accu-cut Lawn Care

no way it should take 45 mins for 1200 feet. I do maintain miles and miles of very manicured baseball fencelines, and if it took 1 hour to do 1500ft, I'd be out of business. 1200 ft is a walk in the park. What part of Brevard County are you in. I actually founded my business(Accu-cut Lawn Care) back in 2000 out of Melbourne, Fl. Do you ever see them around?

8. CkLandscapingOrlando

CkLandscapingOrlando LawnSite Senior Member

I got 22 houses on monday that I cut with a 48 Gravely,echo linetrimmer,edger,andblower.I start at 9 and I'm gone by 2.I do It by myself.Use round up and a weed eater.85 dollers for 2 and a half gallons of honcho.8 ounces for 3 strong gallions.24 ounces every 1 and a half months takes care of all of them and a nice church.I worked for proscape In Orlando and we would knock 350 houses and 5 foot ball field sized ponds with 6 guys In 1 and a half days with detail.All because one guy could line trim all of them In a day

9. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the input guys! I actually got a hold of a few guys to do the chems, but I can pay a guy to walk fences ALL DAY for what it was gonna cost me to have a sub come out and spray them. Then, one of the guys I called to sub it actually sounded interested in bidding the mowing when I told him where it was. he Dont need to go there!

10. CkLandscapingOrlando

CkLandscapingOrlando LawnSite Senior Member

Why would you sub out 30 min worth of work?The license Is 500 buck or so for the first time but think of what you can charge the next guy that wants to sub out 30 min work and 3 buck In chem