help with a bid

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by GreaterMilwLawnscape, Jan 5, 2004.

1. GreaterMilwLawnscape

GreaterMilwLawnscape LawnSite Member

I have a 66 foot by 54 foot sand pit that has 9 concrete 2x2 posts that need to be removed so that the entire area can be sodded. aproximently 20 yards of topsoil. give me you bid and if you have ? please ask!! Thank you and hope you all had a wonderful x mas and new year

2. workaholic

workaholic LawnSite Senior Member

Without seeing the job makes this difficult but if I were doing it and I did work it out on paper and keep in mind using my suppliers and Im figuring easy access with skidloader and 10 ton tandem close buy and as you say sand pit (HOW DEEP) My bid would be 4,950.00 I came up with 35 yrds of topsoil for the area to be sodded. The biggest part of this job would be removing the sand and hauling it away...

3. GreaterMilwLawnscape

GreaterMilwLawnscape LawnSite Member

why not just topsoil over it, and then sod on top of that??

4. Strawbridge Lawn

Strawbridge Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

DISPOSAL: $200.00
    TOPSOIL $300.00
    SOD 400 YDS @ ?? $2.00 -$800.00
    MACHINE RENT ?? $300.00
    LABOR 750
    TOTAL APPROX $2350-2,700

lOTS OF QUESTIONS THOUGH
    SOIL COST? aRE YOU TRUCKING?
    MACHINE? rENT/OWN
    SOD COST P/YARD
    DUMP FEES P/TON TRUCK COSTS??
    TIME: 2 Days easy.

5. workaholic

Are you doing this job yourself? Because if you are I feel sorry for you I personally dont think you can do this job in 2 days (YOURSELF) And if you do have labor helping how are you going to make 750.00 thats pretty cheap from what i see as you described above supplies and equitment total $1,600.00 from what i have learned your labor should be $1,600.00 which totals $3,200.00 do you have insurance do you pay workers comp? a skid loader rental fee for a day is $180+ fuel topsoil is $300 for a triaxle load and only can haul 23 ton. 23 ton just wont cover the total area that was posted more like 2 triaxle loads I guess i cant comment on the sand but from experence if its a sandpit and deeper then 2 or 3 inches it must be removed. also the posts will have to be removed and the holes are at least 1' or deeper those have to be backfilled.

6. workaholic

How deep is the sand? You just said its a sandpit I would not just go in there and spread topsoil over sand and lay sod.

7. Strawbridge Lawn

Strawbridge Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Wprk: It is obvious we do not have near enough info. My thought of what was required is where I based my estimate and that is why I left so many ??? A Picture and specifics is what we need before we can help.

8. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

20 yards of topsoil on that size of an area would give you approximately 2 inches of soil spread evenly. Once your sod roots hit the sand after going through two inches of soil, they will pretty much stop going anywhere since sand holds next to nothing for nutrient value and it's excessive drainage. Certainly not going to work with our area turf (Kentucky blue) and most peoples maintenance practices. Once summer gets here and it warms up, your two inch root zone will cook up and die. Better come up with a better game plan on this job. Removal of the majority of the sand is crucial here. Lots more details needed to quote this work.

9. workaholic

Thank you I totally agree I have no idea how he came up with only 20 yrds. of top soil and not remove sand to boot. I always live buy the saying sometimes you bite the bear and sometimes the bear bites you well I dont go near the bear. becareful in how and what you bid on..

10. workaholic

I do agree with you its pretty difficult to help someone on a bid when you have not seen the jobsite and dont have all the facts but were all here to try to help one another...