help with a ctl

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by P.Services, Dec 28, 2007.

1. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

I'm going to look at a john deere ct332 ctl tomorrow morning that I'm thinking about buying. can i get some help with all the things that i should look at before i buy it? thanks for the help.

2. kreft

kreft LawnSite Bronze Member

I see i started a trend. cool

Look for dammage to the motor, make sure the person selling it goes over everything with you. Look at the wires, tracks, undercarriage, motor,hydrolics, cab, etc....

3. P.Services

what do you mean a trend?

4. P.Services

oh i just got it the link, yeah that was stole from you. i hate the long list of crap people write

5. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

smell the dipstick and make sure it doesn't smell like diesel fuel, look for leaks, make sure that both tracks go forward at the same speed, the tracks should be in good condition, check and make sure there isn't any visible wear or wobbly idlers, also if you can open the drain at the bottom of the fuel tank make sure no water is in there...but the best thing you can do is get an oil sample and have it sent away to be analyzed...

i'm guessing this is a used machine?

6. P.Services

yes its used. thanks a lot for the info.

7. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

really take a hard look at the tracks, if it has worn tracks it will cost most likely between $2200 and $2500 to get new ones and that is if you put them on yourself, which is easiest if you have a forklift...good luck with it

8. P.Services

it has new tracks and sprokets, so thats a very good thing. but it has high hours 1800

9. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

When you show up to look at it, open the engine compartment first and make sure the block is cold. I want to be the first guy starting that machine in the morning when I go to look at it, I don't like it when guys give it a chance to warm up. Once fired up, put it through it's paces. Once you shut her down, check the vitals, etc.. Make note as to their levels when the machine is cold, see if any fluctuate drastically. Coolant is somewhat important, as is it's color. Make sure it's not cloudy. Crankcase oil should not be runny (water) and should not smell like diesel. Function all hydraulics (except the aux. lines of course) through their full range of motion. Listen for any hydraulic noises or lack of grease in the pins. Make sure all safety equipment works properly; parking brake, OPC systems like the arm bar and what not all work correctly and nothing is funked up.

10. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with Scag about making sure you're the first to start it. After it glows, it should start fairly easy and let it warm up at least 10 minutes before you run it. I would also raise the cab up and look over everything you can, it only takes a couple of minutes to raise it up and remove the engine panels. Look for any bad chaffing on the hyd. lines. I wrapped a lot mine with rubber in places that I saw had some.

I'm not trying to talk you out of it, but unless you're getting a killer deal, I'd probably look for a lower hour machine, especially if you're planning of keeping it for a while. There are quite a few out now, and I'd be more interested in a machine maybe in the 500-750 hour range or less. If it's been taken care of it should be fine, but the problem is you don't really know. CTL's and skids just don't have the same life span as other pieces of heavy equipment. Again, I guess it comes down to price and condition. Good luck!