1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Help with a form letter for proper watering and lawn diseases

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by FERT-TEK, Jul 6, 2007.

FERT-TEK LawnSite Bronze Member

Do any of you guys use form letters to educate your customers on how to properly water and what lawn diseases are. I have found much information on both here but could not find a form letter someone uses to educate the consumer on these summer topics. I have been swamped with work lately and honestly havn't been able to find the time to make one up.

If you send out letters like this and dont mind sharing them please either PM me or post them here for this thread. Thanks for the help!
  2. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

Flc Dave,

I don't uses letters, rather I give a one on one client education....But thats just me.

I saw your watering guidelines @ your site, and would like to pass along to you a suggestion. What you do with that is up to you :walking:

Some years ago Rutgers Cook College, had recomendations to water between 12 AM - 6 AM. (this is still the same) Their reasoning @ classes I attended is that If you water soon before or after that window, you are Extending The Leaf Wetness Period, creating a better Enviroment to complete the Disease Triangle. The target # is less that 10 hours leaf wetness.

So I suggest offering that advice as well as watering between 12p-4p, if a midday syringing is needed. Be sure to tell clients grass needs to be dry B 4 dark, if midday soak.

1-1.5" a week is very good. Be sure their soil profile is not squishy wet day after irrigation, as AnAerobic soil conditions along with the higher heat, will allow water loving Fungi like Pythium to build up Populations. Adjust accordingly. Deep and Infrequent as mentioned many times before here on Lawnsite.

Same applies for the Ornamentals. Phytophthora for one,loves Wet Soil.

Be sure a day or so drying period between Irrigation Cycles.

Happy Summer!

Pete D.
  3. ampeg76

ampeg76 LawnSite Senior Member

i do the same as heritage, i personally tell them what should be done!

usually this envolves deep infrequent watering, i tell them to wait for about 20-30% of their lawn is curling, then water

many customers that use a monday wednesday friday blah blah blah schedule end up with disease issues, to much excess moisture that never fully dries

FERT-TEK LawnSite Bronze Member

Thank you for your quick replies. :drinkup:
    Actually yes I have this information within our website (thank you for visiting) and have offered it to my customers to visit as a resource. Unfortunately, either they have not visited or understand lawn diseases and proper watering. I do take the time to educate whoever will listen and suggest they visit the site but still see problems associated with improper watering in the heat and humidity of the summer.

My goal in this thread is to condense the information out there into a one page guidline for the customer that I can leave behind. As I mentioned time has been an issue for me lately and I should have had this done months ago knowing this happens every summer. :hammerhead: