Help with a grassy weed.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by regularguy, Sep 21, 2007.

1. regularguy

regularguy LawnSite Member

I recently noticed that I have a pretty good patch of some sort of a grassy weed growing in my lawn, please see the attached photos. Could someone please help me identify this weed and suggest some control methods? Thanks in advance for your help.

weeds 001.jpg

weeds 002.jpg

weeds 003.jpg

2. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Could you isolate what you're talking about and shoot it against a white background (large sheet of paper). Get in as close as you can. Show roots, a section of the stem, and where the blades attach. AND if possible, a seed pod or grass head is real important. Do this. Maybe someone can help.

3. regularguy

Thanks for the suggestion. Please see the picture below.

weeds.jpg

4. TSM

TSM LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

5. mkroher

mkroher LawnSite Senior Member

looks like bentgrass.

6. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Ditto. If it's nimblewill, it will soon turn brown (like Zoysiagrass). I'm leaning toward bentgrass cuz of pic number 3 ..... the grass look like it has fine texture, and it doesn't have that "patch look" like nimblewill???:waving:

7. regularguy

Thanks everyone for the information. I don't suppose that there is any control short of Round Up for these weeds.

8. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

None yet, but research is being conducted for selective control of nimblewill. According to ISU.