Help with a ID-ing a viney weed.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Grass Happens, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Grass Happens

Grass Happens LawnSite Senior Member

We have this weed at one of our properties, and I heard the name before, but for the life of me cant remember what its called. Its a vine, growing all over our dogwoods, has small < 1/4" purple/violet flowers with small yellow centers and similar sized green shiny fruits. the leaf is 3 lobed, sorta like a trident. I had no way to get pics of it today, but if my description isnt enough I'll go back later and get some.

2. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

maybe veronica AKA corn speedwell

3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Oooh! GOOD hit! That is right ON, I bet!

5. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

If it is.....he totally threw me of with the word "viney weed". Black Nighshade is far from a "viney" weed as it is very erect!

He says it is a viney weed growing all over his Dogwoods, so I would have to bet it is something else.

Best way to ID nightshade is to flip the leaf over and see if it is purple.

I was thinking maybe a morning glory on bindweed.

6. Grass Happens

Riggle is the winner!. it came from a neighboring residence who has it growing all over their Hetzii juniper. Its not nearly as viney as say grapes (which we have as well) but it was definitely intertwined all over the cornus'. Next question, is there selective control for this? My Internet is rather slow tonight, so I'd rather try not to do any research.
    Thanks Again!

7. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

They pull out very easy.

Unless there are hundreds of them I would go that route, but if you have to use a herb you may try Lontrel.

8. Grass Happens

Yea, I spent an hour or so yesterday pulling, but were understaffed as it is and if it manages a comeback, i can't garantee I'll be able to pull it again.

9. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

I deal with a weed called horsenettle. It is a member of the nightshade family. I have tried nearly everything and nothing worked until I found some info by researching some control studies. It spreads by flowering and fruiting but also by underground roots that are extensive.One study showed 97-98% control using 2,4-d in combo with picloram(tordon 22k) other than that, glyphos. Not a real option in lawn areas. Pulling is not a good option because of the spread through the root system. Tordon 22k is not labeled for lawns. It is an ag chem labeled for pastures and rangeland. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. I have a handful of lawns where it has been necessary to use this product. good luck