Help with a important bid?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AllSeasonsAllReasons, Mar 24, 2001.

1. AllSeasonsAllReasons

AllSeasonsAllReasons LawnSite Member

I have this bid to give in a area i have been trying to get into for awhile now! I get a call to finally give a bid in this area! So i get the guys house its huge very fancy house! The problem i have is my price after bidding on it seems high to me! I have not turned this bid in yet. I figured i would see if anyone on here would help first! The yard is 1.8 acres that will be mowed once a week the yard is many different levels very hilly with alot of trees there is about 13 mulch beds and different types of ground cover the house is also in the middle of a wooods so lots of leaves.The guy he had last year quit right before fall so the leaves were never cleaned up!This guy has alot of money! Its a doctor! But he has alot of small jobs for me to do to so i see this as a good profit maker if a can get it! Plus all the houses in this area are about the same! This is the services he requests! Weekly lawn mowing trimming! No edgeing he has no where to edge Spring cleanup Fertalizing twice a year and overseeding, Fall cleanup! He just wants all the beds cleaned out once a week. No bush trimming becouse he said he enjoys taking care of his bushes! I Thank everyone who replys to this post very much! Thank you. Cory

2. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

Is the total property 1.8 acres or the cutting area? Do all of the trees need to be trimmed around or are they in the beds. Why does he only want fertilized 2x a year? No edging? what about the beds that you have to clean up every week? You could make some extra $ running the stick edger along them every time you cut... Do you have to haul the leaves away or can you blow them away there? How many hrs do you think for leaves?

3. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like a perfect job for me, I HATE trimming bushes but I love mowing. Why does he only want yard fertilized twice? Sell him on a 5 step or at least 4 step program. I estimate by amount of time I anticipate the job taking. For mowing I charge $60-80/hour depending on risk (right next to busy road or intersection) and difficulty (I'm not charging on the low end if it is on a steep hill). I would charge about $80 to mow this if it is not too bad. I would charge about $125 per fert app. And $40/hour for leaves plus disposal fee if required. I've found doctors like to have everything laid out in front of them in a simple manner and don't want to worry with their lawn, (seems as if they have other stuff on their minds like saving lives or something) so it's a great opportunity for you if you are very reliable.

4. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

bid the job at the hourly rate YOU need to make for your area ...how much time will I be here for just mow ....how much time for fall clean ...how much time for this extra ....cost & mark-up of fert ....get the #'s together ....x hourly rate

we can't get all the job's but some jobs get us ....I'd suppose a consideration is that to get in the neighborhood one might "cut a deal" even this can nip us in the butt if "word" get's out .....everyone else will want the same deal ...I've cut a job 20% to get in the nice area ....but always let the home owner know to not please refer the bid price

[Edited by theleven on 03-24-2001 at 11:35 AM]

5. the grass isnt hard to figure out... it is the leaves that are hard. how many places can you blow them to? and with the overseeding.... does he want it slit seeded or just seed thrown in the spreader and dispersed? you let me know about that stuff though.
    i come up with about 145 a cut x 28 cuts = 4,060 + your sales tax.
    then for fert lets say no soil test 600 for 2 apps.
    so what i have come up with is gonna be at least 6,000 for the year. divide the guys payments up nice and even amongst the months you intend to be workin there and maybe he will go for it. but at that price you should make some good money. lets say it takes 2 guys a day to clean the leaves, or a bit less? lets say 2,000 for leaves (no carting) unless you can just fire up the push blower and blow em all over to one side or something. i mean that is figured in with a lot of beds and crap.. then lets say to overseed.. just put the seed in the spreader and go depending on how much you spend on each bag of seed... lets say get 2 or 3 x the price of the bag of seed? so if you spend 100 dollars on seed... which is high you get 200 or something... and 1 acre of seed isnt that hard to do. nice and light. so about 7,000 plus tax. that is what i would get without lookin.

6. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

I do not want to give a too negative feeling on this property, but sometimes those that like to putter too much in the yard can wear you and your pocket book out. It also seems to be more true that the more money they look like they have, ei: Doctors, Lawyers, etc, the more they try to get more out of you for less compensation.

If doing a contract, spell it out exactly what you will do for that amount along with a hourly rate price for added requested services if a set price for each service was not decided upon before doing the work.

7. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

MOWING:$100/cut
    plus the trimming and blowing

SEASONAL CLEAN-UPS:$28/man hour
    billed according to actual time it takes
    others have bid 3x cost of mowing for spring and 5-7x for fall

OVER-SEEDING:$2100
    includes starter fert 5lbs/m(440lbs), seed 6lbs/m(528lbs), lime 5lbs/m(440lbs), aeration of turf areas $528($6/m)

APPLICATIONS:$265 per app.

Good Luck this season!
    Kris