Help with a locate

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by cjohn2000, Jul 12, 2012.

1. cjohn2000

cjohn2000 LawnSite Senior Member

Not yet, I plant to be out at the site in the morning, as a favor for my boss to try and get this problem solved before I take off for the weekend.
  2. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

Locating is fun -

I'll locate a couple times a week. A few years back Jim showed me the secrets and now I'm 99.9% accurate on all my locates :)
    Noilirrs likes this.
  3. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

I'm irrigating at home so i have the time today, no problem.
    Take some extra wire with you for grounding and testing.
    This will be a hoot, look forward to working with you
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Are you flooding your pastures?
  5. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Yup. My turn in the rotation.
    I also have to check on the replacement status of tracks for the mini-ex and a ton of things i can do from home since it's friday the 13th.
    Best of luck to all
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

I spoke with cjohn and we will continue the locate when he returns.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. cjohn2000

cjohn2000 LawnSite Senior Member

Went out today and identified my three working valves. Hooked my 521a to the common at the last working valve and traced toward the first "dead" valve. Half way I dug up pulled the common and checked continuity between there and the first dead valve, nothing, open. Created a jumper from that spot I dug up and the first dead valve and went to the controller. What do you know, I had continuity on all my zones, and they worked. So I attached my 521a to the spot I dug up and traced the dead area. Found a weak spot by a tree and dug up the common and checked continuity between my first spot and this spot and I had continuity. So I did this once more and have narrowed my "dead" area to about 40 feet from 200. Tomorrow I will dig a hole and check continuity on each side of this 40 feet. And hopefully I only have to "scab" in about 20 feet of wire. I know this may not be the most efficient way to find the problem but it gonna get the job done. In the end I think this was an original splice that slowly corroded and finally failed. Nothing was dug up all the wires are next to the main about 16 inches deep. Thanks to Jim for helping me get some bearings on the problem:waving:
  8. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Sometimes with learning to locate, getting the job done is key, whether it is efficient or not. You will learn from your "non-efficient" methods and get better each time.
  9. Nicely done for someone new to this tool. Run into too many of those situations and you will want a fault finder. It will put you right on top of the problem. Dana summed it up well.
  10. Waterlogged

Waterlogged LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Well done cjohn you always remember your first time:clapping: now ask for more money:laugh:just kidding