Help with a price please

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Ned5485, Oct 10, 2007.

1. Ned5485

Ned5485 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

95% of my business is mowing. So, when I am asked to do extra stuff, I am never sure what a fair price is. In this particular situation, my best customer asked me to weed and mulch her landscape beds. Every time she asks me to do various jobs, She always says"just bill me for whatever is fair". I usually just charge her my average hourly rate for mowing, plus materials. Obviously, that doesnt fly with most other clients. And this time I am using a loader. I dont know how much to bill for the equipment time/usage.

I am wondering if you guys have a formula that you use for this type of job?(weeding and mulching) Do you charge by the sq ft? Or, do you estimate your time based on sq ft? Or just eyeball it and spit out a number?

I have measured the beds, and they are around 1200 sq ft total. Which I think will take 8 cu yds of mulch. And the weeds are about a 7, on a 1-10 scale.

I am starting today, but dont have to have a number yet. But, it would be nice to know how much I am working for. Like I said before, she just wants to be billed a fair amount. I probably could have been charging her twice what she pays. But I want to be fair. I am just trying to figure out what the "going rate" might be.

Any suggestions/advice/info would be great.
    Thanks in advance,
  2. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

I try and get about 80 too 90 dollars a yard and I move the material across the lawn by hand.
    I usually clean up/dig the bed edges as well.

If the bed has no mulch in it already the 8 yards will be pretty thin in that size of an area.
  3. cp

cp LawnSite Senior Member

This may be too late or notbut look at your houly rate mowing. Take away the cost of equipment use and then you have labor, overhead, and profit.

KISS - Labor rate (what you are worth) + materials (mark up 20%) + profit
  4. LawnSite Fanatic

Yea I think you want about 12 yards of mulch to cover that area thick enough.
  5. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

1200sf @2" is ~7yds, @3" is ~11.
  6. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

How about getting a contract?
  7. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Do you have pictures?

4 yards at 1" depth
    8 yards at 2" depth
    12 yards at 3" depth...

$60-$90 per yard. Depends on how much you pay per yard, delivery fees? How accessible is the site?

You're cost would be double if you bought all 5gallons vs all 3 gallons. Draw out a plan, figure out how many of X plants you need. Price it out, and figure out how long it will take you.

To Find Cubic Yard calculations and determine how many plants you need per given area, go to this site:
  8. dgreen67

dgreen67 LawnSite Member

What percentage rate do you use for profit?
  9. Greenguy1

Greenguy1 LawnSite Member

yea, 10 yds should give you about 3" depth it doesn't have to be an exact to the fraction but you should always round up. I charge 45- 65 per yd. depends on job size yours would be 55. If the weeds do not stick up spray with round up and apply the mulch may want to use pre-emerge also 100 for each.. total should be 750 total cost in labor and material to you is ....mulch @10/yd=100- labor@3yds/hr@15/hr employee wage=50- misc. gas, spray and pre-emerg. approx. 100 grand total= 250 total .....your profit approx. 500 may be some less due to material cost, wage, differences etc. but this should get you in the ball park, don't feel guilty about making a profit.
  10. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

My price includes both.
    I also pull the larger weeds.