1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Help with a problem please

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by DOCDIGGLER, Jun 17, 2006.

DOCDIGGLER LawnSite Member

I have a new install at a new house that I am having problems with. I ran 6 heads per zone and I have upwards of #6 nozzles in rainbird 5000's to get the well to not cycle. I know the well cannot put out 20gpm, so what is the problem. If I run 3 gpm nozzles in the heads the pump kicks off every minute for 20 seconds and then kicks back on. If I run the big nozzles they do not perform very well. Here is the big problem, when the zones switch or the pump does kick off, with the bigger nozzles in the when the pump kicks back on it is violent. The pvb shakes so back you it sounds like someone ran into the house. Scared the **** out of the client last night. Here is the kicker, they said they heard a dripping in the laundry room and went in there and dirty water was dripping inside of the washing machine??? Help please.
  2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Could be the well is being run dry. Or at least very low, which can result in 'muddy' water, as years of accumulation on the well shaft wall slides off and gets pumped out. You need to spend some time to determine what the sustainable well performance is. How about the pressure tank? Is it an old type that can lose its air charge? (much banging can result)
  3. Midlo Snow Maker

Midlo Snow Maker LawnSite Member

what is the pressure switch set at? most are 30-50psi or 40 60 psi, use your #3's and adjust the high end pressure upward just enough so it won't reach it while running, also your pressure tank might be the issue too.if it is not charged.
  4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Yep, at a new house, the pressure switch might be at the original (too low) pressure settings. Just make sure you do have a captive-air type of tank before you raise the settings, and it is always recommended that you add air pressure to that captive charge, before you raise the pressure-switch settings.

A portable air compressor is invaluable for well water work.
  5. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

How about this pump problem? :)

Willow Glen Pump Leak IV-01a.jpg
  6. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

A little duct tape, some gauze bandages, and 30 weight ball bearings will take care of it.
  7. Midlo Snow Maker

Midlo Snow Maker LawnSite Member

man igot the same pumping station, love having to pull that out:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :dizzy:
  8. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

The patient DID survive. :)