Help with a problem???

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Bull, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Bull

Bull LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I need some type of material to place around a chain link fence surrounding a new playground to keep the ground cover material inside of the fence. The fence builder initially left about 2" between the curbing and sidewalks because at that point I was leaning towards putting treated 2x8's around the perimeter. The distance between the line post varies from 6' to 9' and I was going to cut the 2x8's and attach them on center to each post. This however would hold up well but is going to require alot of cutting and be somewhat expensive. Do any of you have any other suggestions?

2. Bull

from NC

Surely someone has another idea.

3. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

How many linear feet are we talking about here?Is it in view of the neighborhood / public? and last of all, how much were the 2x8's going to cost?

4. Bull

from NC

Impact, the lumber cost alone was going to run over $500.00 and yes it can be seen from the curb and sidewalk side for the entire perimeter. From one post to the next there are about 50 sections which vary from 6' to 9' from center to center of each post. It has to be safe for kids playing if installed on the inside. I was planning to install the 2x8's on the outside perimeter using "u bolts" to attach two adjoining boards end to end at each post. The u bolts would go around the post from the inside and through the boards. This method places the bolt ends and nuts on the outside of the fence which should be safer. I was hoping to find some type of durable rolled material that would install faster. Any ideas??

5. polecat63

polecat63 LawnSite Silver Member

What is the ground cover?

6. Bull

from NC

For right now it will be ground poplar chips. Eventually it will have to be a product approved by the state as this place plans to begin a preschool.

7. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

i was just reading AM Leonard's catolog today and i saw something which may interest you. it was something that clipped to the bottom of the fence and went into the ground. it had a rise of about 2" over the ground.
    [​IMG]
    http://www.amleo.com/index/item.cgi?cmd=view&Words=fse5