1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Help with a proslide?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by richm23, Feb 21, 2001.

1. richm23

richm23 LawnSite Member

I just read about the Proslide. I currently have a one wheeled sulky on my Ferris. I was wondering if anyone could give info on where i could get a proslide and what are the advantages/disadvantages to having one. is there a website out there for the proslide?

2. AB Lawn Care

AB Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I also would be interested in the pro/cons of this sulky.
  3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

novae corp sells them. id give you a link, but their site isnt working right now. the site is usually http://www.novaecorp.com
  4. Orkin Yards

Orkin Yards LawnSite Senior Member

I have been using the proslide for over a year now and i love it, their are several post on this subject so use the search function to find some, if you have questions email me... jeffrey@tedorkin.com
  5. Grassman

Grassman LawnSite Member

Stick with the Velkie. Anyone who understands physics knows the powerslide puts more strain on the engine and drive system. Russ
  6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

OK lets have the lowdown on the negative loading and negative vectors that the Proslide creates.
    I have one and have a 15hp single can Kohler pulling my 210lb grAss around with no negative effects or is that affects. Backing up is much simpler and easier on the trans than a jack-knifed sulkie. The stripes are better too and that is caused by the friction that is developed by the high polycarbonate plate on the bottom of the proslide.

You have tried the velkie now try a proslide.

Now I am looking for a formula or some coeffieient of friction I can plug in to see how much more my Kohler will run pulling this dead load. ;)
  7. Patfo

Patfo LawnSite Member

Ihave a 36in W/B belt drive 14hp Kaw. I weigh around 215. Is this too small a mower for a Proslide? Received e-mail from Proslide he said I may have to add weight to front to keep front down coming out of turns and accelerating. Any thoughts? Thanks!
  8. rdh

rdh LawnSite Senior Member

i seen pro slide in action ,wished i had one ,they make cool stripes .
  9. Highpoint

Highpoint LawnSite Member

Rich. If you are a 1 man show, you will love the Proslide!!! Will cost you around 320.00. We bought our first sled 4 years ago, now we own 9 Proslides and 2 Turf Riders. We have re-designed the Turf Riders mounting bracket to fit the sled mount. We carry the wheels for emergency use or if the property has a lot of hard surfaces to cross. The slides are really a neat piece of equipment. Cost wise, the are about the same as the other forms of transport devices for the ential purchase. The up-keep is what cuts into your check book. The manufacture says you should get around 1000 hrs before you have to replace the plastic skid plate. WRONG! We are lucky to get 80 hrs out of the plates. The ONLY way you will get close to those hrs is ONLY riding on super smooth turf. Striping is the cats meow though! The sleds are great if you don't mind paying for the parts. The plastic skid plates will run you around 30.00! The aluminum foot plate will crack and break into pieces every other week. We just weld the cracks back up. The unit uses 2 springs and 2 gas shocks. The springs will fail every 3 or 4 days depending on the operater. Springs cost around 6 bucks for 2. The gas springs will usually last the season but again, it all depends on the operator. There is a right and wrong way to get on and off the unit. Takes a little practice. Mowing in real wet conditions is a breeze. The sleds glide through the water puddles pushing the water away from your feet as long as you are moving. Last season we spent arouond 600.00 on parts for the sleds and the 2 Turf Riders. Seems high but we feel that the effecincy out weighs the cost. Only after you put out multiple crews will you begin to feel the hurt on the pocket book. Honestly, I can't see how anyone would want to ride a 1 wheel sulky. I've used 1, It shook the holy holy out of my insides. It's a pain to back up especially if the unit has any hours on it. It sucks to pick up and hook to the handle bars in tight areas and while loading. They are just plain heavy! Pay the price, keep your insides, enjoy the ride, buy a Proslide!!!!!
  10. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

I would also recommend the ProSlide....I bought one last season and I too was skeptical at first. The results are amazing (especially the striping effect!!!), not to mention the ride is smoother than a wheeled sulky as you are in complete contact with the ground and "glide" as opposed to roll. Ever hit a ditch with your wheeled sulky? A ProSlide literally "slides" over it!!! In fact it is actually fun to ride as there are spots on properties where I get a down slope (not steep as the unit tends to retract on steep slopes) and can catch a bit of air on roots and such. ;) I use mine on a hydro driven unit and the thing rocks! Can't speak for a belt drive, but I don't see any reason it wouldn't do just as fine.

As for the physics...the wheeled sulky is not going to put any more less strain on your engine than a Pro-Slide.