1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Help with a registering a domain

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Lawncop26, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Lawncop26

Lawncop26 LawnSite Member

Could someone please explain to me the difference between the
    .com,.org,.biz etc...
    I'm trying to register a domain and the one I want is not available in .com, but is in every other. Any help would be much appreciated!!
  2. MV Property Care

MV Property Care LawnSite Member

From what I understand .net, .org, .biz ,etc. gives you more options when your Domain name is taken with a dot com.
  3. Lawncop26

I'm pretty much clueless when it comes to computers, I'm wondering if I can use .biz or .org for a business domain or are they restricted for non profit groups? I worry at times if I should even be thinking about a website until I'm more fluent with computers, but we all started at one point, right!?

Thank You for your response MV
  4. luckydooley

luckydooley LawnSite Senior Member

You can use .org or .biz. I would prefer a .com name but would use .biz over .org.
  5. covalawn

covalawn LawnSite Member

they all are pretty much the same thing.....a suffix of your name. ".org" I think stands for "organization" like maybe a church or red cross something like that. Other than that they are just extentions. When everyone thinks about a web address the first one they think of is ".com" so that is preferable but ".net" is kind of the next well known address.

Godaddy is cheap for registering a name its like $9 a year but type in "godaddy.com promo code" into a websearch and you normally can find a 10% off code which makes it like $7. I have registered one for 5 years and it was like $35 and another for ten years and it was like $70. So its not very expensive.

For the hosting plan I personally use HostGator.com. My plan is like $10 a month for 6,000GB of bandwidth(which is alot). They also have a $5 a month plan which is good if you only host one site. (I personally host several). PM me if you would like some help i'll do what I can.
  6. Lawncop26

Thank you luckydooley, for your response, .biz is it I guess, I too would prefer .com, but the domain site said to make an offer, and I bet it would be crazy!
  7. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

Just make a bit of a change. Like, if its two words, put a dash in there instead of all together. put XXXXXmowing.com or XXXXXXcompany.com

Be creative, but still keep it simple for customers to find you.
  8. Lawncop26

Covalawn, you got me thinking now, .com is what I think of about a website as well, and .net would be second, they are the only two I am familar with, so must be the most popular, thank you.

grass-scapes, I see what you mean, gonna play with it a little, thank you also.
  9. Lawncop26

Just registered on google, chose Ilovemylawn.net, we'll see how it goes, be a while to get up and running, thanks for your help.
  10. nherweck

nherweck LawnSite Senior Member

If you want CHEAP hosting, check on ebay. Check for WEB HOSTING and limit the results to less than $20. I've been hosting with different eBayers for 6 years, for about $8 a year, for UNLIMITED everything (bandwidth, domain names, etc.). I pay less than $20/year for hosting & domain registration.

Good deals!