Help with a sago

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Duck Dodger, Nov 29, 2005.

1. Duck Dodger

Duck Dodger LawnSite Senior Member

I have a sago palm that I brought with me from southern GA to TN. I keep it in a container inside in an area that gets full sun. I beleive I have the soil right but a few weeks ago it started dieing in random areas. I thought it may be from the change in the seasons but the spots are really pale not yellowish like they normally get in cold weather. Any ideas out there?

2. LA LAWNS

LA LAWNS LawnSite Member

make sure you dont over water after the first couple days, or have "wet feet"

3. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Sunburn? here in Phoenix they need shade or filtered light. I realize the sun here is a little more intense but maybe coming through the windows it is magnified or something. Just a thought.

4. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Here in north Louisiana mine do great in full sun year-round. Beautiful evergreen. I'm in zone 8 (I think).

5. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

probably frizzle top disease. VERY commen in sago's.

it is cuased by a magnesium deficency. the affected fronds will never recover, so u just cut them off..

to prevent this or stop it from happening again, apply a few tablesoppns of epsom salts around the base of the plant.

PS.. the plant will not flush again until spring, so if u cut off the fronds now, it will just sit there until it's next flush....... it's NOT dead.

6. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

for uptimum health do the magnesium thing with the epsom salts and get a fert with manganese as well. I am tired now and can't remember how it works but lack of one affects top frond and lack of the other affects bottom fronds and brown spotting can occur from either.

7. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

frizzle top is a manganese deficiency

8. Duck Dodger

Duck Dodger LawnSite Senior Member

I'll try the mnsm thanks

9. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

those things grow outdoors and a fungus is killing them off like mad. I doubt thats your problem though. The guys in the above posts sound like they got it right.

10. sicklid

sicklid LawnSite Member

Yeah around here they get Sago Spore(Scale) and the local recomendation is Dysyston around the base and Organocide on the fronds.