1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

help with a space saver problem

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mrkosar, Aug 10, 2007.

1. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

i have a 200 gallon lesco space saver that won't start for me. i have enough gas, recently changed oil, feel i have maintained it well so far. only a year and half old, but this morning it would turn over. yesterday it worked fine. i have seen liquid leaking from where the air filter box is. not dripping real bad, but have never noticed it before until today.

any ideas?
  2. Laner

Laner LawnSite Senior Member

I had a similar problem with my space saver this Spring after servicing it. I found that there is a sensor on the top of the crankcase of the engine to tell if the oil level is correct. I disconnected the sensor and the motor fired up and ran just fine. I found out that this sensor goes bad sometimes. The wire actually shorts out the engine so it will not run to prevent damage to the engine.
  3. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

It also could be a carb problem if you have seen liquid coming from the air filter. could be the float or it could have fouled the spark plug?
  4. scweedman

scweedman LawnSite Senior Member

The oil sensor are a problem
  5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Leaking fluid could be gas that was not ignited, as you tried to start it. Remove and check air filter. Also, I would install a new plug--they get dirty and a piece of carbon could short it out. Check the spark. Hold wire about 3/4 inch from a cooling fin. Pull the rope briskly --you should get a spark of about 3/4 inch. It may help to do this in a dark garage. Don't hold the wire yourself--get your assistant to do it.

Judge the strength of the spark if assistant gets a "poke".
    "Ouch!"=too weak
    "Ouch!" plus string of profanity and dances around garage=adequate
    Above plus punches you in the mouth=excellent--about 25,000 volts
  6. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

thanks fellas.

my lesco guy helped me figure it out. the filter had been waterlogged from the night before rain, and i had flooded it when i was choking it. just need to dry out the filter.