help with a Stihl HS80

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jdmcat, Feb 19, 2008.

1. jdmcat

jdmcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

does anyone know anything about this particular model? apparently they don't make this model anymore. is it commercial grade? i ask because i found one used today for $229. i was thinking about offering $200, is that a good price. i tried to google it but came up with scratch.

2. jdmcat

from Idaho

bump......

3. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I have used an HS80 for several seasons. My use is somewhat limited, probably only about 50-60 hours per season. Clearly, it is a commercial grade clipper.

I know others have their favorite, but my piece has served me very well. I take it apart every off-season to sharpen the blades and repack the transmission with fresh grease.

I have a string trimmer, edger, and blower, all Stihl, so I am familiar with their line, and am comfortable with maintenance.

If there is one drawback to the HS80, it is weight. The rotating handle is very useful, and enables a more comfortable grip on the machine in various cutting positions.

I think a new one is about $339-350, in that range. The obvious question about the used one: condition...? Do you know how much it has been used. What is the condition of the cutting bar? Clearly, it can be sharpened, but are their any obvious signs of abuse, or damage?

Perhaps one place to look is underneath, on the transmission cover. Is the paint badly worn off, or is it still very clean? When the machine is set down, it will be set on that cover, and eventually, the paint will scratch off. I know mine is pretty bare. Clearly, paint, or no paint, is not a certain sign of usage. However, unless the machine was always sat down on a carpet, the bottom will show some sign of use.

If you do buy it, and want help in sharpening, let me know. When I did my latest sharpening, I shot a bunch of pics and can e-mail then to you.

4. jdmcat

from Idaho

roger, thanks for the reply. it looks like it has seen quite a bit of use, but i will only use it occasionally. i'm only doing this part time, mow and blow mainly, but it would be nice to be able to do some prune jobs myself rather than pass up the work.

5. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

My thought is that $229 is too high if it has been used heavily. Maybe even your $200 is too much. But, I don't deal with used equipment, so my vote shouldn't count.

6. Accu-cut Lawn Care

Accu-cut Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Hs80's,imo, are the best hedge trimmers ever made. My first pair went five years of heavy use without needing any maintenance! Then, I only needed to have them sharpened because I nicked a metal rod. I probably put (conservative estimate) 1500 hours on them and earned easily 100 k ... not bad for a 400 investment. I like mine so much that I decided to buy another pair for back up and future use when I saw that they weren't being made anymore! 229 is a good deal if they are in nice shape.