1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Help with a walker probem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by wakesetter2001, Jul 10, 2008.

1. wakesetter2001

wakesetter2001 LawnSite Member

I have a 2006 26HP EFI Walker that keep shutting down when it gets hot. It acts like it runs out of fuel and then it won't start. You let it sit for a while and then it will start and run again. Then it will get hot and shut down again. If it is not really hot outside it runs fine.

Last night I washed the mower because we can not find anything else wrong with it and thought maybe dirt and grass was holding more heat. Now it is just runing like crap when ever you put a load on the motor but it is not shutting off completely.

Has anyone else had a problem like this? Please help.
  2. Phil G

Phil G LawnSite Senior Member

Hi, initially a couple of things come to mind. The fuel is vaporizing or more likely the valve gap is incorrect. Check the engine manufacturer's site for correct setting. Just a tip, when gaping valves leave them on the loose side of correct measurement. This will allow for any excessive expansion due to heat without stopping any decompressor working.

Good luck Phil :)
  3. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

These 26EFI engines in the Walker are very finicky,and your better off taking it to a Kohler engine dealer to have the ECM read. For such a "preferred" engine in the Walker theirs many problems with these Kohler 26EFI units?? My dealer steered us away from the 26EFI nothing but trouble in the long run.