Help with a ZTR purchase decision?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gmccammon, Jul 25, 2005.

1. gmccammon

gmccammon LawnSite Member

I am wanting to buy a ZTR. I currently mow about 3.5 acres of lawn (seems to be more weeds than grass) with a John Deer L130 lawn tractor with a 48” cut.

I would like to trade up to a 60” deck on a ZTR.

I have looked at several here in the area…but I am not sure what benefit one may have over the other.

Currently I am considering a:

eXmark Lazer Z (60 in) 23 HP Kohler for $7899 (NEW) – 9 mph?
    Ever Ride Warrior (60 in) 25 HP $7300 (NEW) – 13 mph?
    Hustler Super Z (60 in) 27 HP Kohler $7500 (USED 100 hours ) – 15 mph?

I like the Lazer Z and have read some good reviews…. I just can’t seem to find any real comparisons. Does the extra groundspeed leave some grass uncut? The eXmark dealer assures me that the Lazer Z will cut at full speed (9 mph).

Does anyone have any knowledge of comparisons between these? How about personal reviews?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated..

Greg

2. jtrice11

jtrice11 LawnSite Senior Member

Can't go wrong with an eXmark. I'm buying another one today.

3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Greg
    Get the hustler. they cut weeds better then the ultracut on the exmark. See if you can demo the mowers first.
    John

4. ToroLandscaper

ToroLandscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

Out of all those choices and prices i would go with the hustler for sure. I have herd bad things about everide and they are a new and establishing company and i would be a little worried about the avalibility to get parts so deffinantly dont go with that. And the eXmark they are awesome machines but you would deffinantely be underpowered with a 23hp so thats a NO

GO WITH HUSTLER YOU WONT REGRET IT AT ALL.

5. splatz100

splatz100 LawnSite Senior Member

Yea and MPH should not be your main concern. I would look more into dealer support.
    Also look into the Lazer but with a bigger engine.

6. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Those are transport speeds not mowing speeds. Go with the one that has the best dealer support for the future repairs. I'd look really close at the Hustler but its really personal pref.

7. gmccammon

gmccammon LawnSite Member

I'm finding that the Dealer for the Lazer Z is much closer and seems to provide super support for his products.

They are going to bring me out a 60 in Lazer Z to demo on Thursday. My main concern is that it cuts all my weeds in one pass. Something my John Deere lawn tractor is not having any luck doing.

By this weekend, I'll know how the eXMark did on cutting time and how well it actually cuts.

If it does poorly...then the search continues.

Thanks again.

Greg

8. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

The ultracut deck is a deck that cuts great on lush lawns. i dont think you will get it for weeds especially dandelions.

The hustler deck is more open. it cuts weeds better.
    John

9. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

have you looked at a Lesco? 6 grand for a 60 inch

10. N.H.BOY

N.H.BOY LawnSite Bronze Member

Cub Cadet? Tank 60" 10 mph nice strips. solid. good warrenty. Price---check the web site it's on there.WWW. CubCadetCommerical.com