Help with Aeration \ Leveling

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by kcpcalvin, Jun 19, 2005.

1. kcpcalvin

kcpcalvin LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

I live in North Georgia and have an otherwise good looking lawn. Regular trugreen treatments. Very thick and healthy turf. Two problems. My lawn is no longer smooth and level. The mower is bouncing as I go enough to make circular marks, I've had to slow down the mower to keep the marks less noticible. How do I level this?

My back yard is dying in spots and the water is pooling even though there is a decline. Will an aeration cure this? Is renting an aerator at Home Depot sufficient? I've had bad luck with landscapers down here, called 3 made appointments and none showed, so I'll be doing all of this myself.

Please help, thanks!

2. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

Aeration will not correct the issue you have with the lawn not being level. Aeration should be done though in spring before the fertilizer goes down to promote root growth. Here at the beach most of the gold courses close down for 4 days this month just for aeration of the fairways.

Can you post pictures of the problems so we can better see what you are dealing with?

3. kcpcalvin

from Georgia

I can't really post a picture of the uneven spots, the mower just bumps. I have a 21" honda and it will leave circular marks from the blades going low in spots where the bumps are. I'll see if i can get a picture to show it.

4. naturescaretaker

If you are having that problem with a 21" mower what kind of soil do you have? Might try a steel sod roller to level out some of the smaller mounds.

5. kcpcalvin

from Georgia

sorry, not bumps, depressions.

6. kcpcalvin

from Georgia

Here are some pics of the back, I think its too compacted.

3068 was grass, flooded, now the water never drains there, after a rain is is spongy.

3069 is a close up of 3070

3070 is very hard, grass won't grow, last year it did fine. I thought it was the pine tree limbs above, those were removed, think it needs to be aerated?

130-3068_IMG.JPG

130-3069_IMG.JPG

130-3070_IMG.JPG

7. naturescaretaker

I would use organic compost mixed with sand and some grass seed to fill in the depressions. I would not put more than an inch down at a time. Every 10 days I would fill the depression until it is level.