Help with Aerator-Ryan Textron IV

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ron mexico75, Sep 4, 2013.

1. ron mexico75

ron mexico75 LawnSite Bronze Member

Can someone give me a hand please? Not sure how to make the adjustment. Everytime I come to a stop and need to let go of the throttle and then grab it to start aerating again, the aerator stalls. I basically have to pull down the throttle handle VERY slowly so it doesn't stall. Other than that, the machine starts and runs fine.

Bought it in 2001 and it has the Briggs motor if that matters. Thanks

2. ron mexico75

3. ron mexico75

Anyone....?

4. ron mexico75

For the love of god......ANYONE?.......Mechanics?

5. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

6. jbturf

jbturf LawnSite Bronze Member

idle too low? maybe turn it up a bit and try it

most the newer ryan run at full throttle all the time,(separate throttle control lever)
    maybe you could try that if problem persists

7. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

First things first, when was the last time this machine saw any required, scheduled, and periodic maintenance?

It needs a new air filter.
    It needs fresh oil (and oil filter if it has one).
    It needs a new spark plug (gap .030)
    And while you're at it I'd go ahead and replace the fuel line as well (and fuel filter if it has one).

Once you do all that and clean it up nice and good, who knows, it might actually run like it's supposed to.
    Then again it might not so if it doesn't come on back, but I won't touch a machine that's outside of maintenance because it only makes sense, if I know the machine has been properly maintained, it narrows down the list of possibilities that could be causing the fault.

8. ron mexico75

Air filter is new, gear reduction oil is new, motor oil is new, spark plug is new. It did this about two or three years ago. I took it to the place where I bought it in 2001 and they did a quick adjustment. Brought it back out to me and it has run good ever since. so I'm thinking whatever they did if I knew what they did that would fix it because it's doing the same exact thing.

I mean the thing runs fine it's just when I come to a stop and pull down the clutch release again it will stall. unless I release it very slowly it's almost like the RPMs have to be kept up in order forward to keep from stalling.

9. Jeff in AL

Jeff in AL LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

ron mexico75,

Did I miss the post somewhere where you posted the ENGINE MODEL, TYPE and CODE number? So we have a better idea as to which Briggs & Stratton you have since they made a few different models in 2001.

10. ron mexico75

Model 93452
    Type 1241 E1
    Code 0103093A