Help with Aerator-Ryan Textron IV

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ron mexico75, Sep 4, 2013.

  1. dutch1

    dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk
    Posts: 2,231

  2. Jeff in AL

    Jeff in AL LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama
    Posts: 727

    ron mexico75,

    Click on link dutch1 provided and look at the diagram. Ditto on what dutch1 suggested which is reference number 117 in the diagram. Make sure both holes in the side of that main jet are completely open as well as the smaller one in the end.

    Also as dutch1 stated, remove the carburetor bowl since you have the main jet out anyway and check for varnish or debris.

    Being that the carburetor you have appears to not have an idle mixture screw, I would not spend much time "trying" to clean/install a carburetor kit but just replace the carburetor and be done!

    With the cost of the carburetor assy. between $40.00-$50.00 ish, you will probably spend more then that in time to try and fix it!

    Jeff
     
  3. ron mexico75

    ron mexico75 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Posts: 1,685

    Are you guys I appreciate the help and suggestions. Since I've been out working all day and have several jobs lined up tomorrow that include aerating I'm just going to have to use it as is.

    I've never worked on this thing but what I was able to do was loosen up the screw that controls the RPMs. I pushed on a lever that made the idol go up higher and then tighten the screw. So now when I let go of the clutch release the RPMs are not as low as they used to be. I tested it out for a couple of runs and it didn't stall. I know that's not what the problem was but at least I won't be starting it 30 times for every property that I run it on until I have enough time to replace the carburetor.

    I guess after thinking about it it must be a fuel issue. The thing runs fine it's just when you let go of the clutch release, let it idle for a second or two and then pull it down again to start another aerating row is when it stalls. Pretty much like letting the clutch out on a manual truck too fast.
     
  4. Jeff in AL

    Jeff in AL LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama
    Posts: 727

    If I remember correctly, when you pulled the handle back didn't it engage the drum and tines to turn and raise the engine speed at the same time? If that is the case, then screw in the "idle stop screw" until the engine speed is where it should be (not over speeding) and leave it there at a "fixed" speed now and don't worry about fixing the carburetor! If there is a clutch on the engine, that would be a different story then...
     
  5. jbturf

    jbturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    Posts: 1,411

    from your posts sounds like there is nothing wrong with the motor--

    if yours has a throttle cable like my past ones have, they do stretch over time, so when you grab the lever it is engaging the tines a bit quicker than its pulling on the throttle, just a quick adjustment

    enjoy
     
  6. ron mexico75

    ron mexico75 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Posts: 1,685

    I think you are exactly right I do not have a separate throttle control. There is a picture of a rabbit and a turtle but no control it's like you have to go in and manually push it up or down and then tighten the screw down and that's how it stays.
     
  7. dutch1

    dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk
    Posts: 2,231

    As I recall, only Honda equipped LA 4's had a separate throttle control(where you see the rabbit/turtle) and I'm not sure that all the Honda units had one. As Jeff suggested, adjust the idle speed screw on the carb to raise the rpms a bit--if that doesn't solve the problem, clean the main jet/carb bowl as suggested.
     
  8. ron mexico75

    ron mexico75 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Posts: 1,685

    Well, here are some pics of my model aerator. I'm glad I didn't fool around with removing the carb etc. The unit ran fine last year and I always drain the fuel and run it until it turns off to make sure all the fuel is out of it. I knew the carb couldn't be blocked right at the start of this season.

    I think what was happening is the idle was too low and when I engaged the tines the RPM's were to low for the amount of power needed to get things moving and it would stall. I looseded that wing nut you see in the pic and pulled up on that silver lever across from the rabbit just a tiny bit. I then turned the wing nut just a little to keep the RPM's a tad higher when at idle. I went to aerate and the machine did great, no stalling. I did notice that it's very touchy, if you tighten that wing nut to much then the RPM's will not go down at all when the tines are not engaged and will just run wide open which I did not want.

    throttle-1.JPG

    throttle-2.JPG
     

Share This Page