HELP with an arguement with my parents

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Ben's Landscape, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Ben's Landscape

Ben's Landscape LawnSite Bronze Member

I want to go into the green industry full time. Go to school for landscape architect and biz management.

My parents fee that I should not go into the cutting biz because I have capabilities for bigger jobs. Since i have a 4.0 GPA right now.

I want to get into the commercial mowing, Snow removal, Irrigation, Design and matiance of properties.

They feel that i am wasting my time and I will not make any money in the field!!!

How can i change there minds. I love cutting grass. I like running the mowers and equipment. I like this field of work.

I say if you like your job then it isn't considered work!!

Please give me any impot on this ongoing argument.

2. sharpcuts

sharpcuts LawnSite Member
    from NE OK

From what I've seen landscape architects aren't exactly starving. I say if you like what your doing & can make a good living, go for it! Just think about it this way, is this something I want to do for the next 30 years. If that doesn't sound appealing, better reconsider. Parents mean well, but they don't have to live your life. Not to say you shouldn't listen to their advice; you should. But the decision is yours & you will be the one that lives with the consequences. I don't beleive in parents making life decisions for you. You wouldn't let them choose your wife for you, even if it was a better choice!! If you were just gonna mow grass for a living, I could see their point

3. Ben's Landscape

Do you see my point of gettin into snow removal, irrigation and other jobs?? I was also thinking of getting into tree work.

4. 2low4NH

2low4NH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NH

depending on where you live you can make a good amount of money. design pays very well in some areas and very slow in others parts. you wont be making six figures a year unless you do everything right and want to deal with the headaches of having a large crew. i do landscaping/masonry and i do very well for myself when the economy is good. right now im scratching for work. if you like your job and truely want to do this for the rest of your life then show them what you could do. talk with the big companies in your area and get a feel for how they do it. most of the big companies here also have a retail store to sell supplies to the homeowners

5. Ben's Landscape

I live in RI. Where are you located??

6. sharpcuts

sharpcuts LawnSite Member
    from NE OK

Just make sure you don't "over diversify". You need to decide which services your gonna provide & focus on it. Do like 2low4nh suggests & talk to the guys that are doing the kind of work you want to do.
    Your parents probably have the common perception that all guys in this industry are either rednecks or hippies. Network with some of the guys on here that have businesses like you want. A lot of them have a degree in one thing or another.

7. Ben's Landscape

Ive already tried to talk to guys that own companys. I have gone to there shops and they have either told me they would call me or they would not talk to me because i am only 17.

So i have been gathering all my info from this great site.

8. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

When you go to college take a double major like landscape architecture and enough liberal arts that you can get into law school later, just in case you want might want to.

9. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

Only you can decide. Keep in mind that you can succeed at pretty much any kind of work that you do as long as you are driven. I am 19 and my parents are fully in support of me. That really helps, and it would be hard to do it all myself. But if your driven it can be done.

10. Ben's Landscape

My parents have support for me. It is just that they want the best for me also. I think that this field has a lot of potential with commercial contracts and big residential jobs. I feel that there is definatly money to be made in this field.