1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Help with backpack sprayer

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Westbrooklawn, Jun 20, 2003.

1. Westbrooklawn

Westbrooklawn LawnSite Senior Member

I've gone through 3 Solo backpack sprayers in the last several years, and I'm getting tired of it. They develop leaks around the diaphragm, it runs down your back, drips where you don't want it to, etc.

The main purpose is to spray round-up and an occasional post emergent for broadleafs.

My question - has anyone found a superior backpack spayer in the 4 gal. range? I am not so concerned about price as I am quality. Any recommendations would be appreciated. What's the best one out there??????
  2. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

I have 3 Echo backpack sprayers and have not had a problem with any of them. They are the standard manual pump sprayers, not the ones with the small engine. I keep two for Round-up and one for Trimec. They've been used pretty heavily and I have no complaints. Mike
  3. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

I love my Shindaiwa 4 G backpack sprayer.
  4. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

My Solo is the same way. And NOONE around here will work on them, one guy said he couldn't even get one apart. Such a shame, too. because it worked very well when it worked. A shop here has the Shindaiwa 4 G for $79.99, is this a good price?
  5. Westbrooklawn

I haven't shopped around here for the Shindaiwa, so I don't know if that price is good, but compared to solo prices it seems good.

Has anyone used SP brand backpack sprayers? They advertise them as being "virtually leakproof" in their piston pump design. Best price seems to be about $119 for 4 gal. model.
  6. Westbrooklawn

Naturescape -

Do you have the commercial Shindaiwa with the brass piston, or the standard one with the plastic piston?
  7. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

Ive had good luck with the ones that Home Depot carries. Work well for me.
  8. JDOG

JDOG LawnSite Member

I use both the shindaiwas. backpack and hand held. They are both great. The handheld seems cheap at first, but its tough. Paid $99 for backpack nad $39 for handheld.
  9. wooly34

wooly34 LawnSite Member

We use Eagle-1 backpack sprayers. The BP120AP is a a battery powered unit that sprays up to 40psi. The unit holds 4 gallons, the charge lasts all day, has a variable power output and doesn't make a sound. I have two of them and highly recommend one. A little pricey at $600.00 a unit but well worth it.
  10. TurfPro

TurfPro LawnSite Member

Westbrooklawn :

I went thru my share of Solo sprayers,,then I made the change to SP Systems and have yet to replace another...they are good B/P Sprayers for sure. I found that the straps were more comfortable and they fell more "heavy duty" all the way around. I use the SP2 piston(168 psi) for general use and the SPO (diaphram) for everything else.
    Northerntool.com had some good prices on them awhile back.