Help with Bed Edging Price

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Westbrooklawn, Mar 24, 2004.

1. Westbrooklawn

Westbrooklawn LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone have a good generic price per foot for bed edging using a power edger (Brown, etc.)? I realize soil conditions play a big factor. I am looking at heavy clay soil with moderate rocks. I am thinking in the $.15/ft. range.......is this in line with what others are charging?

If anyone can provide a typical feet/minute production with a brown bed edger then I can also calculate what my pricing should be. Thanks in advance for any input.

2. muxx

muxx LawnSite Member

I have been charging, with no troubles, $1.00 per foot if I mulch and $2.00 per foot if I don't.

3. gr84

gr84 LawnSite Member

.15 cents per foot i think is way to cheap in ohio we charge any where from .50 cents to a $1.00 per foot. as far as feet per minute if you are experienced running that edger at the most it would only take you a 1/2 hour to go around an average (middle class) house. also you say that there is clay and rocks. the bed edger will cut through it but there might be a lot of clean up because it doesn't pullverize it as well as soil and becare full of those rocks they will fly right out of the rubber sheild

4. Westbrooklawn

Thanks for the replies. GR48 I would estimate an average (middle class) house at around 150 feet around the foundation beds. At $1 per foot that equates to about $300 per hour!! Sounds great, but it seems a little high for the time involved.

5. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

Westbrooklawn, I am near you (only about 5 miles from Durham) and I to charge $1.00/foot edged. This is the going rate in our area. You can't only charge for your time but you have to factor in the price of the machine, the gas it takes, and many other things. I have never had a customer complain about my price on edging, especially when they see the great job it does.

6. homerescue

homerescue LawnSite Member
    from wv

edge by hand perfectly like the brown does and see how long it takes you .For the cost of the machine and rotors 1.00 per foot is a real good price in my book. Why shouldn' you make 200.00-300.00 per hour when you pay on the average 2400.00 for a machine, taxes and insurance. break a mismarked line and see what it might cost you.

7. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

.15 is waaayyyy too low....in our area, the rates noted above are more in the range of what you should charge. And if you rent one, and break some teeth off the auger, you'll be charged about $90 to repair the machine.

any homeowner who has ever tackled this job knows he will spend the better part of 2 days on the avg property including what to do with the clods of soil after he cuts them out.

Don't give away this service. I also have never had a customer whine about the cost of edging or re-edging. The machines do an awesome job and you only have to brush the soil back into the beds and you're done. Touch up the mulch of course will be necessary to cover the pulverized edges

8. Westbrooklawn

Great replies from all........Thank You! I have only rented a bed edger in the past, and include the edging in the cost of the mulch job.

Homerescue - I have edged by hand before (in my younger days!), and I know how laborious it is.

GarPA - I have never been known to "give away" (lowball) services.......on the contrary I price on the high end for maintenance services, and I have been in the business for 14 years. Getting the "market" price is exactly why I asked the question, and everyone's answer has enlightened me.

Knowing I can get around $1/foot makes it a sound decision to go ahead and purchase a machine. Again.....thanks to all for your replies.

9. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

good for you...I too keep kicking around buying one as it pays for itself very quickly. But its one more machine to care for, store, etc. But it would be so convenient to own one. I put a bid in on two rental machines but they want too much money for the used machines .

ps..I was not implying you were lowballing ...sorry if it sounded that way

10. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

I charge between $.70 and $1.00 per foot also and havent had a problem getting the price. New machine is just about paid for already.