help with bed installation

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Timbo, Sep 28, 2004.

1. Timbo

Timbo LawnSite Member

I have a customer that wants me to extend her beds, add about 3" of top soil and add mulch. There is about 35 - 40 sq. ft. of sod that needs to be removed to make the kidney shaped beds she wants. What is the easiest way for me to do this? Do I rent a sod cutter and take it out that way. I'm sure as hell not going to cut it up with a spade and take it out by hand. If I spray with round-up, can I just add the new soil and mulch on top of the existing grass? I am just a one man operation and I want to get this done as quickly and as efficiently as possible. Any suggestions would be helpful. I tried a search but could not find what I was really looking for.

2. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

"It is easier to do a job right than to explain why you didn't."

Sure looks like thats not your thinking on this job!

You sound like another yardman trying to be a landscaper!

3. stxkyboy

stxkyboy LawnSite Member

HAHAHA couldnt have said it better. but in the spirit of niceness....sod cutter, new soil, rototill, plant, mulch

4. Timbo

Timbo LawnSite Member

Thanks. Thats all I really needed to know. If I wasn't trying to do the job right, I would't have asked the correct way to do it.

5. mcclureandson

mcclureandson LawnSite Member

sod cutter???? I don't know how many of these jobs you've done in all your years in the business, but for a solo-operator and a job this size it would be much easier and faster to kill what's there, rake/shallow till it off and then amend the soil/add topsoil...he might end up with a tenth of the debris to haul away...and he won't have to rent a sod-cutter...

6. Timbo

Timbo LawnSite Member

I have seen other companies do it that way. I figure it would be easier. I'll suggest the two ways to the customer and see what kind of time frame she is looking to have the beds done by. If option 2 with the round-up is too long, I'll refer another company I know. Thanks for an real answer instead of an insulting comment.

7. stxkyboy

stxkyboy LawnSite Member

You make money on jobs by being in and out....u use the sod cutter u finish the bed and you get paid......all in one day

8. KurtisInIowa

KurtisInIowa LawnSite Member

Is it really only 35-40sq. ft.? 5x8' or so? I could cut that out with a spade long before I could make a round trip to the rental place. I recently paid $90 for the day for a cutter to cut out about 1,000 sq ft. Now that one I would not do by hand.

Kapt_K

9. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

I agree by hand is the best way with this one.
    It won't hurt to get a little dirty,and you can keep more money.

10. mcclureandson

mcclureandson LawnSite Member

No problem...don't refer it, in fact - don't even give her the option. My experience has been that most customers want you to be CONFIDENT, informative and professional...tell her the BEST way to do it is...(insert what works best with your schedule). Anyone else she calls is going to be at least a week or two out to complete the work...she's got you right there, what's a week or so waiting for that little patch of grass to die?