help with Bermuda question

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by medtec113, Apr 21, 2010.

1. medtec113

medtec113 LawnSite Member

Someone please tell me what causes this in the bermuda grass. It is early in the season but last year it was this way all year. I use a reel mower to cut but it still looks stemmy.

ooo.jpg

2. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

First off, how much fertilizer have you fed this grass, and how much watering has been done all season.
    Either your photo was taken on a cloudy day or there is too much shade for the bermuda to thrive. Is there any water standing on this site.?

3. medtec113

The picture was taken about thirty min before dark. No shade in the area it gets full sun. I water about 1 inch per week (deep water) and I fertilized this spring (three days ago) 34-0-0. I just top dressed with sand. Everything seems good but it looks stemmy

4. medtec113

maybe when I scalped it I didnt get it all?

5. Think Green

I fertilize our Bermuda lawns with 32-3-7 2%S and Fe. 3 LB. of this product per thousand Square feet once a month. Ureas is substituted in one of the 5 applications of fert for the season. Urea at 2 LB. per thousand sq.ft. each time. Watering with irrigation systems 3 days a week......sorry for not going into the times to accumulate an inch of water per zone. It has been dry here already this early season. Either way, you need 1 LB. of nitrogen per thousand sq.ft. per growing month. Phosphorus and potassium essentially if needed by soil test. I apply a total of 5-7 lbs. of Nitrogen to Bermuda grass per growing season and water. Heavily mowed and clipping removed grass needs to be fed more. Did I mention water? If your soil is hard as a rock, adding sand will only make a brick and the turf will not penetrate this stuff.

6. medtec113

The soil is good. I understand what all the other ammendments you mentioned do, but was does the urea do?

7. Think Green

You applied ammonium Nitrate 34/0/0, and I apply urea 46/0/0. The difference is 3lb. per thousand versus 2 lb. per thousand and cost.. I am boosting the growth effect and greenup before the heat and humidity sets in. I will switch back to the slow release of 32% to keep from causing fungus and damage to the lawns.

8. medtec113

any suggestion on the stems you see in the picture?

9. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Urea is just Nitrogen. Scalp the lawn down and get the dead out but I would wait until it gets warmer. Soil temps need to be in the high 60's to get it really pushing. The stems may be weeds or some other variety of turf that does not take the shorter mowing. Or they may be Bermuda that was smashed by dull / poorly adjusted blades without being cut, just kind of smashed between the bed-knife and reel.

10. medtec113

thx for the advise