Help with bid on 2 acre property

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Joel B., Aug 29, 2002.

1. Joel B.

Joel B. LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

I have been mowing a funeral home and now the owner needs me to mow his own property for 3 weeks while his mower is in the shop. I asked him if he wanted me to give him an estimate and he said "no, just do it and send me a bill".

So now I'm looking for some figures on what you charge for a similar property (2 acres). Drove by the property today, very affluent neighborhood, house not real big, average (whatever that is!) trimming. He said he uses a Kubota tractor with a 60" deck and it takes him about an hour and a half.

Appreciate any opinions,

Joel B.
  2. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

There are a couple things you should probably consider while mowing.
    1. Which mower are you gonna use and that works into how much gas will be needed.

2.Mulch, bag, discharge?

3. How much trimming?

4. Is there a lot of trees or is it open?

5. Is it flat or are there any hills?

I'd probably charge anywhere from $130-$170
  3. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Just keep tabs on your time and then set your price from there. I easily get $50/man hr for my 48" wb. You should be arround that figure. Any other lco will so why would you not??

4. tailoredlook

tailoredlook LawnSite Member

Man have I got to get in your neighborhoods. Around here 30-35 hr. 1 acre per hour. my total 60-70 depends on if I like the customer.
  5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Just mow the place. Total your time, garage to garage, and bill him.

2 Acres doesn't take long with todays commercial mowers. I'll bet you'll beat his time with everything but a 36" WB.

Good Luck.
  6. kjo43

kjo43 LawnSite Member

something else thats a factor is what you charge for his commercial property...

Either 1 of two things is happening...

he has a number in mind that he thinks you are going to charge based on his experience with you.

or, he doesn't care what it costs.

You prob. know which type of customer this guy is though.
    Good luck.
  7. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

If not much trimming, and just a easy lawn in general here, max. price $60. I know it sounds low but thats all the budget will bear here. One of my former customers told me his last guy had a 54" or so ZTR and charged him $45 for 2 acres... It's a very easy lot with very little trimming though, but I got $65 out of him for it. His last guy was doing it every week but he only had me do it when he was on vacation or his mower is broke down. :cool:
  8. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

Well, its kind of difficult to give exact figures without seeing as you know. 2 acres w/minimal trimming (around house,few tress, edge driveway) probably around $110 or $120.
  9. SIG

SIG LawnSite Member

$130.00 to $170.00 for 2 acres? I don't think I get much work around at those prices. Sure would be nice though!
  10. dforbes

dforbes LawnSite Member

how big is the funeral home, how much do you charge for that. If your sure its only for 3 weeks I would figure out how much per hour I was getting for the funeral home and charge him that rate. This assumes you are making good money there. Then when I got on his property I would look it over and see if there were other services there that I could sell him. I'm sure he has an idea of how long it takes you to do the funeral home and it sounds like you have a good working relationship. I would not do anything to hurt that. If I felt I needed a higher rate at his house for any reason I would call him first and tell him. Its going to be $xx.00 because you have lots of beds and it will take this long. Whatever the case is. I would rather make this call than explain later why.