Help with bid please

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by clncut, Dec 15, 2005.

1. clncut

clncut LawnSite Member

I was offered to bid a HOA account. There are 15 homes in this sub. with a common area about a quarter acre. 10 of the homes are next to each other in a u shanpe and the other 5 are side by side in a straight line. The homes are right around 6,ooo sq.ft, some with fences some without. Gates are just big enough to get my 36" wb in and the ones without fences my 52" ztr will fit. This is for mowing, trimming blowing and edging with a string trimmer only, BUT mulching of beds for about 35 trees will be needed at a later date.

Im thinking $30.00/ 15 houses = 450.00
    450.00 at 27 cuts = 12,150
    common area $40. = 1,040 (27 cuts)
    Total 13,190.00 will probably bid at 13,000.00

I know everyones overhead is different and what the market will bear is not the same for everyone. Im just looking to see what you guy would come up with.

2. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Sounds fair to me.

3. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member

I'll bet someone will bid at $9,000 just to get it. Your bid sounds right on though.

4. clncut

clncut LawnSite Member

Thanks guys, anyone else?

5. cochino12

cochino12 LawnSite Senior Member

I agree .

6. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Your quote sounds REASONABLE. However, someone (probably unlicensed or uninsured, definitely working Part-Time will do it for $20 per yard (or LESS like $17 or $15) and $20 for the commong area. I can almost guarantee it! In my neighborhood $35 is going rate & someone came in with flyers for $19 and that is NOT for 15 in a row!

HOAs are PITAs too. You'll have 15 separate bosses. They'll all be complaining about something...grass too short at one, too high at another...can you come on a different day...etc.

I quoted a few and gave up on them. Too many headaches for too little profit.

Mike

7. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

sounds close to me, might want to add a PITA fee in there

8. clncut

clncut LawnSite Member

Well, sent in my bid last Friday for the HOA account that I mentioned earlier in this thread. I crunched the numbers some more after talking to many of you and decicded I could bid this prop at about 11000.00 and still make some decent money. Recieved the letter yesterday saying my bid was denied, the only other bid came in at 7000.00:eek: The president stated he was just under 18.00 per home! Thats crazy! Oh well, I will just send a letter thanking them for the opportunity and to call me when the other company F@#Ks up! This company is also bidding on another HOA complex I mow. Im sure Ill be Losing this one also!

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Unless this is in a part of the country requiring by-weekly cuts all year-round, I still fail to understand how anyone gets 27 cuts/year/prop...

As for me, my average cuts/year/prop is around 16... I don't cut the grass every time it grows 1/16th of an inch, I'm not as anal about this whole thing and have no problem with grass being ankle height before it needs cutting, but that's just me.

I have a FEW yards with Chemlawn treating AND a sprinkler system going year round, these take 22-24 cuts, but most of my customers don't have this luxury.

I cut every 10-12 days in spring, then it goes to 2-3 and even 4 weeks throughout Jul-Aug, it goes back to by-weekly in september and come october the first ones start to drop off.

As for me, I wouldn't just be the one to bid 9k to get it, I would bid 9k to earn some profit while realizing these yards likely will not need cutting every time the grass has grown a fraction of an inch, I know it is quite likely 2-3 cuts/month during peak and 1-2 cuts/month the rest of the year will suffice.

Then there is leaves, mulch, etc...
    I don't know, what I gave is just for grass-cutting, I don't know what else they might want...

10. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

if they fertilize the grass grows, if they dont fertilize, the weeds grow, except in drought conditions, the grass needs mowed ever week , period....

im further north then you and 27 cuts is about right for ohio, let alone further south, sounds like you let the customer call and say, i dont need mowing this week????