Help with bid please

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Quality Lawn Care, Nov 1, 2002.

1. Quality Lawn Care

Quality Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I have been mowing this acct. all summer and finally decided to measure it to see how well or how bad I bid it.

It's 202,000 sq. ft. It has some hills on it that I had to slow down on and a fair amount of trees to go around. Trimming took me about 1/2 an hour and blowing took me 5 min. I mowed it with a 52" Lazor, it looked great when I was done. I think I way under bid at $.79/ 1,000 sq. ft. ($160.00). I need to place a bid for next year and want it to be more profitable w/o lossing the acct. Any help would be great. Go Vikings!!!!
  2. wattsup

wattsup LawnSite Member

How long did it take you to mow? I do not have any experience with a 52", all I have ever run is a 61". With the information you have given I would have bid at @ $300. Do you know how many other bids were given?
  3. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

For a prop that size to only have 1/2 hour of trimming is incredible. And the rest of it must be very wide open to make any money on mowing at $160. My only experience with any thing that big had tons and tons of trimming. As such the price was much higher than yours.
  4. Quality Lawn Care

Quality Lawn Care LawnSite Member

It took me 4 hours, I could have spend more time trimming but I knew I under bid it so I tried to hit the high spots each time.
  5. rross

rross LawnSite Member

I would be right around $400.00 personally. It is open with some trees, very little tress for the size of the property it sounds like.
  6. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Without knowing your overhead or drive time to the job.......

I'd say at least $275, but probobly no more than $325 or so.......

Like I said, that can be great, good, or bad, all depending on YOUR overhead, NOT what we "guess" as a price.
  7. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

Thats alot of sqaure foot to cover in that amount of time, but seems feasible with the amount of trimming that you say is required. One other thing I would take into consideration is how smooth the terrain is? What I mean, is this 4 hours of getting your back pounded, or is it 4 hours of just nice mowing. As much as you want to get alot more money from this account, you also have to stay competitive with in your area. All it takes is one other company to underbid you by $20-40 and you might be taking a hike. But one other thing, this seems like pretty easy mowing, you are making very good time on it. This into account you can't charge the same per 1,000 as if you were mowing some steeper embankment, or a property with tons of trees and houses. Personally, I think 0.79 is a little under bid, I would go with something in the range of 0.85-0.95. This brings your total range to $172-192 Now tack on .60hrs @ $35/ hr for trimming/blowing and you get an addition $21. This brings a new total of $193-213. I am not sayin you would be underbidding if you were somewhere between your $160-190, this depends on the property and I have not seen it. I know you would just love to raise it up to $250 or $300, but if you merely double your price from one season to the next, they more than likely are going to look elsewhere to find a cheaper bid. Good luck-Esby

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

What's your hourly rate? $40 might be low since you're using a 52 inch mower. Also consider that you have zilcho drive time for 4 hours. Use the Wally World formula and price it at $197. Good luck.
  9. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

Around $300.
  10. mowngrow

mowngrow LawnSite Senior Member

$275.00 -$300.00 depending how bad you want the account