Help with bid

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Raider, Apr 11, 2008.

1. Raider

Raider LawnSite Member
    from IOWA

I am bidding (by Monday) on an apartment complex and would like some help. This is a mow, trim, and blow only. Me and my son. 54 JD 737, 32 walk behind, 21 in. lawnboy trim mower. I would call this an average trimming job, nothing extravagant. No cleaning of beds or anything on weekly basis. I would appreciate per mowing estimates then I will figure total. As of right now it is weekly mow and as needed if it dries up. I am sure I left things out. I think it will take the two of us about one and a half hours. I was thinking around $125
    1.82 Acre Lot
    3 seperate housing units each about 6,000 sq. ft. (18,000sq. ft. total)
    1 large parking area (17,400 sq. ft. total)
    other paved areas(sidewalks) (6,000 sq. ft. total)
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

2. Raider

Raider LawnSite Member
    from IOWA

Trying to post pics
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Raider

Raider LawnSite Member
    from IOWA

Anyone? Just want to know if I am about "ballpark" range

4. Raider

Raider LawnSite Member
    from IOWA

One last time, anyone have an opinion?

5. MJS

MJS LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll just venture a rough guess. . .It's really hard to give an estimate from the pic's, but for 1 1/2 hours/ two guys. . . say 3 man-hours, so I'd probably charge at least $120 - $140. (for me, $40/ man hour) Again, it's hard to say exactly from seeing the pictures.

6. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

those look like hud apts. i got plenty of experience with them, take into account you will be picking up lots of trash, tenants will leave all kinds of stuff for you to go around/move and your job will have to pass a gov't inspector twice/yr. if they want it bi-weekly they will call you to do it a week early cause an inspector is coming, then wait 3 weeks to get back on schedule cause they are stingy with the $. i did 5 of them the smalles being a little larger than the 1 you are bidding on for 4 years, let them go at the end of last year, they are a real PITA.

7. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

I hate to say it but he is right. They really can be a pita. If anything bid it a little higher right off the bat because it is difficult to get a raise later. I lost one 2 years ago because I wanted to raise it 10 bucks a month!:dizzy: he is also right on about the trash. As for a general bid going only off your info and pic's I would say shoot for at least the $140 to 160.00 range. Personally I would probably try for more but the line is fine this year between what you want and what they will pay. Good luck.

Jeff

8. MJS

MJS LawnSite Bronze Member

So let us know if you got the job, or what. . .
    Good luck

9. Raider

Raider LawnSite Member
    from IOWA

I will know in a week. I ended up bidding the $125 amount that I first thought would be appropriate. After reading a few posts I am not sure if I really want this bid because they are "HUD" housing projects and I can see where that could be a hassle. Thanks for the help, I really appreciate hearing from other guys that have a lot of experience.
    I will let everyone know how it all comes out.

10. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

if you get them be especially careful when trimming (especially if you have no guard) so your trimmer don't throw drug syringes at you, you sure don't want a stick from that.