help with body lift with a 4 speed

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by toxiclows, Feb 11, 2001.

1. toxiclows

toxiclows LawnSite Member

I just lifted my 77 half ton 4x4 body lift... i was wondering what i will hae to do to get my clutch to work right...
    i am pretty sure that something will have to be lenghtend but i am not sure what....
    the rod coming down from the petal, the cam leaver on the cross bar or the all threas going to the fork...... thanks in advance
    Chris

2. toxiclows

dont everyone reply at once or nothing..... seriously, i need some advice here, does anyone know what i will have to lenghten.... i am assuming that it is the rod from the clutch down to the pivot cross rod but am not sure...... am i the only one to put a 3 inch body lift on a 4 speed cevy???? i doubt it..... come on ...

3. 75

75 LawnSite Senior Member

Looking at a clutch linkage diagram in my friend's Chevrolet truck repair manual (printed by GM, for the '77 model year no less!) I would say that the rod running from the clutch pedal arm (inside cab - they call it the "clutch pedal push rod") down to the pivot cross rod (referred to in the manual as the "lever & shaft assembly") is the one to lengthen, just like you were thinking. This is not the voice of experience, having never done one, but I would take a look at the push rod while it is on the truck and mark its range of motion. Then I would remove it from the cab and go about lenghtening it, making sure to keep your splice in an area where it will not interfere with the push rod travel. I'd suggest finding some small diameter pipe that will fit over the push rod, and overlap a good 2" - 3" on either half of the push rod if there is room. The other alternative would be to have a new push rod made the appropriate length. Are there any aftermarket replacement parts for this component guys?

1975 GMC C-35

4. toxiclows

Thanks alot i just wanted a second opinion. this seems logical and the pipe over the rod seems like the sturdy way to do it..... time to fire up the welder.
    thanks alot

5. 75

75 LawnSite Senior Member

You're welcome! Glad to hear the information was of some help. Also, further to my post from yesterday, I took a look under the dash of my company welding truck today ('79 Chev C-30, grunt low 4 speed) and there looks like plenty of length to insert your pipe sleeve for lengthening the clutch pushrod. It runs a little close to the steering column but it should clear OK. Just remember to be sure of the orientation of the two ends of the pushrod before you cut it! It would be a good idea to scribe a couple of index marks on the pipe sleeve before chopping the pushrod. Saves a lot of head scratching with half a pushrod in each hand! :confused: (Voice of experience here, just not with a clutch pushrod!)

1975 GMC C-35