1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Help with Buying Mowers

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by tiggare10, Sep 3, 2009.

1. tiggare10

tiggare10 LawnSite Member

Hi,

What would you suggest in getting for mowers? I am buying new but want to have the nicer brands that will work for both commercial and residential.

I want a zero turn and a walk behind (with a velke). Speed is important as well (of course quality is most important).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If you know the approx. price please list as well.

By the way I am in Indiana so everything here is pretty flat.

Thanks in advance.

2. ryanh11

ryanh11 LawnSite Member

either hustler or gravely definitely. dixie chopper is over priced and has too many moving to break. i run all gravely and i wouldnt use anything else. unless i had hustlers of course...lol....as far as price goes what sizes are you looking for?

3. tiggare10

tiggare10 LawnSite Member

I think 48 or 52.

4. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know if you have ever looked at a dixie chopper but they are a very solid machine and easy to work on. Everything on them is very simple and makes life easier on the owner. Also the price on them is very reasonable and is cheaper than some of the other brands. You might really want to do a little more research next time.

5. mowerbrad

If you are looking for speed in a ztr, I would look into a Dixie Chopper. They are very nice mowers. I bought a 60" classic HP with a 33hp engine, suspension seat, front springer forks, ROPS, electric deck lift, x-blades, magic mulcher and a few extra for $12000. I put every option on that mower that I could, so the price was a little higher than the average dixie. But you could easily get one for $8000-$10000.

If you want a walk-behind, I would suggest exmark. I like the ECS controls better than any other, but it is more of a personal preference than anything.

I would suggest demoing some mowers that you are considering buying and see which one(s) is/are the best for you.

6. jeffslawnservice

jeffslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

You can ask 100 different people which mower you should but and they will all say different brands. What you have to do is find out what brand mowers the dealers anear you sell and go with one of those. (There arnt any walker dealers anear me so it wouldent make any sence for me to buy a walker. But every dealer near me sells bobcat mowers so it would make sence for me to buy a bobcat mower.) Once you find out what brand mowers your dealer sells ask them what they prefer they would know the most. Ask them to demo a few mowers. And as for what size deck, you need to make that decision if you have alot of accounts with gates it wouldent make sence to buy a 60'' mower but if you mow alot of open areas you might want to look into a 60'' deck. Just my opinion.

7. chathamvahere

chathamvahere LawnSite Member

Gravely 2nd vote here, very solid machines.

8. ryanh11

ryanh11 LawnSite Member

the dealer near me sells gravely hustler and dixie chopper. when i went to buy my machines that is what was told to me. for example, look at the guy with all the extras on his dixie......electric deck????!!!!.....dont u think when that goes out he's gunna be in a bind.....so, before you go telling people they need to do more research make sure you know if they did some or not. like i said i did mine and this is what the dealer told me. and again, it is personal preference as stated in this thread. it might also be different in other parts of the U.S. because down here where im from dixie choppers are very expensive compared to the other brands. stick to answering other forum users questions if you feel you have the answer and not putting other users down for their awnswers or opinions. thanks and sorry to everyone else in this thread for the rant.

9. nmanley

nmanley LawnSite Member

Spoken like a knowledgeable fool not even living in Indiana. :hammerhead:

tiggare10

All the current Name brand ZTR's are pretty darn good. Go see what your local dealers carry and see what your competition is running too. If they are successful there is a reason and it's usually good equipment and good people.

10. mowerbrad

You said the dixies have too many "moving" parts that could break. Every mower has a ton of moving parts that could break. When you REALLY LOOK at a dixie and get hands on with it, you will see that the dixie is a very simple machine that is easy to work on. The ease of maintenance of this machine is one reason why I like it, makes life easier on me.

BTW, I would be one of those guys that has all those "extras" on his dixie, including the electric deck lift. If it breaks, I run it over to the dealer and they give me a loaner or get me back out working within a couple hours.

I wasn't putting you down in any way, just making sure that you were informed. Some of the things you said about the dixie weren't exactly true, I wanted the original poster to be able to be informed about dixie chopper's from someone who knows alot about them.