Help with changing hydro hose

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by kppurn, Apr 4, 2008.

1. kppurn

kppurn LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a small leak from a hose that's starting to crack and need to change it asap. It's the hose that goes from both pumps back to the oil reservoir.

I've never done anything like this and was just wondering if anyone can give me some advice? I plan on changing the hydro filter and oil this weekend and will replace the hose while I'm at it. It looks to me like oil will get all over the place. Will the oil come pouring out of the reservoir when I remove the hose or will that only happen when taking off the hose that runs to the pumps?:confused:

This is on an exmark turf tracer hp if that makes any difference. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

The oil will run out no matter which end of the hose you remove, I would suggest pinching the hose with vise-grips near the pumps and remove there. You may be able to put the hose over a drain pan of some sort to let the tank drain.

This thread may be helpful after the new hose/filter and oil are installed, Also pre-fill the filter with oil before installing;

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=224027

3. kppurn

kppurn LawnSite Senior Member

Thank you. I will give that a try.

Will it make any difference whether or not I remove the hose or the filter first? I guess my thinking is maybe if I take the filter off and let the oil drain there may be less oil to leak out when I remove the hose. Or should I pinch the hose as you stated and let the oil drain into the pan first, then take off the filter, replace the hose and install the new filter.

I'm sure I sound like I have no clue, but I just want to make sure I do it right.

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

You have a better idea than I do, The parts break-down doesn't show where on the frame the filter holder is mounted. If you can get a pan under it easier drain from the filter then remove the hose, But I'm sure you will still get a little oil out of the hose.