Help with clutch brackets

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by american dream, Dec 2, 2012.

1. american dream

american dream LawnSite Senior Member

The other day I was mowing with my toro 74415 when all of the sudden there was a great screeching and smell of burnt clutch with a lot of vibration.I tried to shut off pto switch but nothing so I shut off the whole mower and then loaded up.I got to shop and took a look and the whole clutch is free spinning and all the wires are ripped free of it,also looks like what ever holds the clutch from spinning is gone or bent.With out a diagram don't know what is supposed to be there. Any help with diagrams or anything would be much appreciated.

Thanks

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I didn't see a "bracket" in the parts break-down, I would guess a long bolt was double nutted through a hole in the frame that fit into one of the slots in the clutch housing. You can look at the slots and tell which was used by the shiny wear pattern, Then spin the clutch around and see if there's a hole in the frame that aligns with the slot.

3. american dream

I will give a look see thanks
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. american dream

If I buy a replacement cluch is there anything you have to set or do they just bolt up?
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Restrorob

Just bolt on, But...... Burnish it in before mowing, Set throttle to 1/2-3/4's and engage 8 to 10 times then go mow.....

6. american dream

Thanks again!
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Monroe74

Monroe74 LawnSite Senior Member

The clutch should have two notches on the outer edge that should line up with a bracket to keep it from spinning. Sounds to me you may have either lost this bracket or the bolt that holds the clutch on came loose enough that the clutch doesn't engage it . Good luck

8. Monroe74

Monroe74 LawnSite Senior Member

Shoot already answered sorry

9. american dream

I see the two notches but I do not see anything that would hold them,should my toro dealer be able to find this piece?
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Restrorob

If there were a stop "bracket" it would be shown in this pic for your model number;

[​IMG]

With no "bracket" shown is why I suggested looking for a hole in the frame pan where a bolt likely dropped out or broke, Possibly #49 in the pic......