Help with Combating crabgrass with Celcius WG.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by gulfjoe, Jul 2, 2012.

1. gulfjoe

gulfjoe LawnSite Bronze Member

First let me start this thread letting you guys know I am Home Owner DIY kind of guy. I read a lot of threads on here and take in as much knowledge as possible. So here is my question...

I want to make sure I use this Celcius WG product correctly. Because I know improperly using this stuff and I could destroy my lawn.

I had a irrigation system installed April 25th roughly, and when they trenched the yard I think they awoke a sleeping nightmare of crabgrass. This is a new home and the Tifton bermuda was laid Dec 15th 2011. I went to the Local John Deere landscapes and he recommended the Celcius for my problems. The crab grass is my largest problem but i have random other weeds throughout the yard.

I notice on the product label to treat crab grass i need to use .113 oz per 1000sqft. I have a 2 gallon pump sprayer and 8000sqft of grass. I am somewhat confused on how to mix it.

The measuring cup is odd...it has 1,13 oZ but not .113 and the cup has a comma next to the 1 not a decimal point. would that be .113 oz line?

Should i only spot treat or blanket my entire yard?

I laid new sod in the trenches 32 days ago, it has all rooted, is it Safe?

Should i mow before treating or after?

I need to apply fert, does it matter when i do it with this treatment?

The weather is very hot down here right now, is there a certain time of day I should apply this.

I read alot of other threads saying they use a surfacant, is that necessary? if so is Hi-Yield spreader sticker a proper product. http://www.fertilome.com/product.aspx?pid=2d96ab93-df5b-4d76-be77-fd4669e0c890

Have I forgot anything important?

I would provide some pictures to help, but it is not letting me upload any photos.

here is the product label if you dont have it in front of you
    http://harrells.com/wp-content/harrells-products/label-images/CELSIU.pdf

Thank you all of your help is greatly appreciated.

2. gulfjoe

Found this on a website for a conversion....

Low rate is 0.057 oz. or 1.6 grams per gallon water
    Middle rate is 0.085 oz. or 2.4 grams per gallon water
    High rate is 0.113 oz. or 3.2 grams per gallon water

Now I have to figure out how to measure grams with out buying a digital scale.

Any idea how much a T-spoon of this stuff weighs?

3. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Not gonna have much luck using Celcius on CG...I hate to say it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. cgaengineer

The comma is a decimal point. If ypu have to divide your rate in 1/4's to find a better line to measure from.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. cgaengineer

For spot treating mix .117 oz with 2 gallons (provided your two gallons covers 2000 sq ft or close)
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. gulfjoe

Are you serious... I asked the JDL guys what the best thing to take this stuff out with was and they told this was it.

7. cgaengineer

They lied.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. cgaengineer

You might get some kill on really small cg, one tiller maybe...
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

I get good control with it.

JDL used to have a double sides spoon for Celcius to mix the smaller batches. It is what I use when BP mixing.

10. gulfjoe

well I already bought it so I am going to use it. Does it need a surfacant added?.