Help with commercial bid for Home Depot

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ryan Lightning, Nov 6, 2003.

1. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

Its a new Home Depot,
    35,000 sq ft of flower beds pretty heavly planted with ground cover ( I think a type of trailing diasy) and maybe 50-100 small wheeler dwarfs, and alot night lilys,and a few other type's of plants, Pretty low maintenance since all the plants are new.

3 LARGE trees in different spots, that will dropping leaves soon. 2 Valley oaks, and 1 Sichomore

Around 75 new small trees

No drip line to deal with, all spray heads

No lawn, except for 15 are so, little strips of fescue. (1 foot by 10) That is suppose to go natural, and look like medow grass:confused: I could just slap the designer

They want
    Weed control
    All the trash picked up every week out of the beds( Parking lot sweeper comes once a week)
    Plants maintained
    Trees pruned til they hit 20 foot Then they pay extra
    Sprinklers maintained

This will be 12 months a year, and I probally have to show almost every week except when it rains alot.

Thanks for any help.

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Whatever you end up with for your price, figure in an additional 2.75 hours a month onto it. That will cover each weekly visit; 20 minutes standing around waiting for a manager to come sign you in upon arrival, and 20 minutes standing around waiting for a manager to come sign for completion of the work before you leave. This is the way they do this, as it is their policy, and I am told by EVERYone around here, that it is nothing but a pain. I read on here of a couple of people that did HD's, and they said the same thing about it being their policy.

3. Ryan Lightning

from CA

Runner, thanks for the tip. It sounds like a real pain to get signed in and out, And they know how much you are making a hour.

Another thing I forgot was, that it is 30 miles from my house, all freeway miles. So thats another 2 hours of driving a month

Ill spray the beds 3 times a year with preemergence. I was thinking $400 per application, which is $100 month

The hard part to figue is, will I spend 2 hours picking up trash, and prune any dead stuff, are out of place branchs, picking up leaves, ect. Are will it take 5 hours?

4. z_clark

z_clark LawnSite Senior Member

As a foreman for a company, we do most H.D.'s in the metroplex. Trash is a HUGE problem at these accounts. I have had two of my guys on trash duty for three hours, while the other two guys take care of landscaping needs. The amount of trash pick up usually has to do with the part of town the store is in, but even the nicest parts of town still can have loads of trash. Also the size of the parking lot is defiantly something to consider if you are going to be controlling weeds coming up in cracks. Doing irrigation checks can be trying, as in the stores here the controller is in the back room and can only be opened by a manager. With the controller so far away, you either need cell or radio contact w/ some one out side, or get ready for a lengthy process of checking all zones. As previously stated, the wait for a signature on you service ticket can be long too. They are great accounts, but just like anything else, bid it correctly.

5. NC Big Daddy

NC Big Daddy LawnSite Senior Member

Trash Trash and more Trash! We handle 9 Home Depots they all pay well and have not been bid out for 3 seasons. BUT you had better have a game plain ready they are VERY time consuming to say the least. If you're going to be doing this solo I'd recommend you bid something else. If not bid correctly this account will drag down your daily rate. I send a four man crew to service the H.D's they handle 9 Home Depots and only one other account. So you can see the time involved. Here's a hint for you on the sign-in procedure, try signing-in when you get there in this area the DM only requires one sign-in. Thats the first thing my foreman does it really speeds up the whole thing.

Good Luck

6. Ryan Lightning

from CA

Is $800 to cheap? My plan was about 4 hours a week, Solo. Do you think Im off on how long it will take? Kind of sounds like this job is trash duty.
    The whole property is about 600 by 600 feet, all the planters are around the out side for the most part.

7. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I did a Lowe's and trash was a big issue. The employees do not care where the wrappers go off the pallets of mulch and for that matter even their drink cans.......etc. We would spend the 1st 30 minutes picking up trash nearly every trip.

I have other commercial accounts and they are about the same......the size of the trash is smaler but nothing a Trac-Vac can't handle.