1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Help with Commercial Bid Please!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by boxoffire, Jan 13, 2005.

1. boxoffire

boxoffire LawnSite Member

Ok, my brother called me today and hooked me up with possible commercial account near my house to cut once a week this upcoming season. This is my first year and will do mostly residential work, but could use a couple of these. Do you charge a little more for commercial? I am going by to give the guy a price later today or tomorrow and want some opinions. I believe it's mowing/trimming and maybe edging. There are only a few plants/small trees around the building with pine straw mulch around them. Walked off approx 10,000 sq. ft of grass to mow. I'm thinking around $60-$75 per cut. What should a rookie who needs the work bid on this job? Thanks much.
  2. boxoffire

Ok, just went by this place and spoke with Mgr. and they want nothing but cut and trim every other week during cutting season. No mulching, edging, grass seeding, fertilizing, nothing else but plain and simple cut and trim. It's around 14,000 sq. ft with a slight inclinde on about 1/3 of it. I think I can get each visit done in about 1.5 hours. I have a feeling I'm not going to get it no matter what I bid unless I bid $25-$30 because he already has 3 bids in and they are from guys who work in their warehouse already! If I bid the same as somebody (one of those guys), then I'm sure they will get the nod over me. Oh well, my first commercial bid on a cheap looking piece of property (quality of lawn in my opinion) and I am not going to lowball too much. If you really needed the work what would you put in as a price? At this time I have 0 accounts lined up, just some residentials. Since there is no contract to sign I guess I could bid low and see how many other properties I start getting and drop it if it's not worth it to me anymore.
  3. Brianj

Brianj LawnSite Member

i wouldnt drop my price that much...you are hardly making any money at 25 dollars, i barely will get out of my truck for that.. i know when u first start u take anything and everything.. but u will pick up plenty of work in the spring
  4. Jeff@SGLC.ca

Jeff@SGLC.ca LawnSite Senior Member

If he already has quotes from guys that work for him already...he's probably looking to see if there are any lower ball lowball guys out there.
  5. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

That 1.5 hours on just cutting and trimming 14K Sq feet is a typo right? That's not but a 1/4 of an acre of turf. I can do that small area in 15-20 minutes. No way it takes 1.5 hours even with a 21" pusher and broom.
  6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Every other? Color me gone...
  7. Jeff@SGLC.ca

Jeff@SGLC.ca LawnSite Senior Member

I hate the every other people. They always call and say they would like their lawn cut every week....u go out, give a price they say "ok". Then after the first time out they come out and say....."well I think it only needs it every other week"....u give another price to cover taller grass and such...."oh no that's too much you said x amount per cut".
  8. TurfdudeNCSU

TurfdudeNCSU LawnSite Member

For those spec's I would bid $70.00 a cut for every other week service. You got more work to do when you aren't there everyweek. Don't worry about what others price for a job... Price what your time is worth plus cost of the equipment that you are going to be using also.
  9. boxoffire

Thanks Turfdude, and others. No way I'm going that low, just get the impression like someone said that they are looking a lowball bid any way. I had thought to myself $65 and no lower, so the $70 is close. I think $70 is more fair, but figured I'd go $5 lower, we'll see. As for how long I'll be there, well I tend to hang around and get it as **** and span as I can. They are asking for any trash to be picked up too on the property. Anyway, I have a lawn tractor with 17 hp and 44" Toro Proline hydro with 14hp on it, and I still think it will take me 45 minutes minimum. The trimming is along a long fence, and several other spots too. I could just see myself being there at least between an hour and an hour and a half each visit.
  10. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I'd probably charge $70 for that size on everyother week to MOW/TRIM/BLOW. If they want TRASH PICKUP too, they better get some more money out!!! 2 weeks of trash buildup could really SUCK, depending on their location. IF you were going at $65, you'd better go up at least $10 for trash. You'll hate yourself otherwise!