Help with complete lawn redo.

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by 1BadHawk, Apr 29, 2005.

1. 1BadHawk

1BadHawk LawnSite Member

I picked up new customer this past week for a regular mow and trim. The thing is, his yard is a fest pool for weeds. I think this guy has two of every type of weed there is. Anyway, he wasnt to do what his neighbor did two years ago. Kill everything in the fall and completely reseed and start over. He wants to talk to me later about this and a few other options.

Aside from patching and small area seeding, what all is involved with taking on a task like this. Can anyone point me in a direction where I can find more info about doing this project, the steps involoved, and such.

Thanks in advanve for any info you give to help me.

2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

First, do the work and get your pesticide license in ornamentals and turf....

Being in Maryland, I would have to assume this is cool season turf that will not spread?
    Depending on how bad it actually is infested, how big the lawn is, what the budget is, what the preferred method of the client is, ect, really makes or breaks what you do.

For really bad infestation, I would just hit the whole thing with my version of roundup, wait for it all to die, work the soil and seed an entire new lawn of a turfgrass blend suited to the property environment.....

3. Lawn Masters LC

Lawn Masters LC LawnSite Member

I would hit the property heavy with a product like Trimec and kill off all of the weeds. Do this til Sept., plug and seed the cr@p out of it, straw ever so litely and watch grass grow like crazy. Do not go heavy with straw, heavy straw will rot in place and kill any chance of grass growing there. Make the owner understand that growing grass is a process. Time+Money=Great lawn.

4. 1BadHawk

1BadHawk LawnSite Member

would a single application of 15lb per 1k sq ft of seed be ok, or should the seend be applied in smaller quantities over several applications? Yes the property is in mayland the size is 35k sq ft.

5. 1BadHawk

1BadHawk LawnSite Member

Talked to the owner a bit the other day. He's leaning toward reseading instead of sodding. My plan was this.

Cut bi weekly to keep growth to a minimum, then end of July start killing the lawn with one perhaps two treatments. Mid August, Run through once with a short cut, about 1/2", then verticut and rake up weeds and old thatch. Aerate, lay seed at 5#/1k sqft, and apply starter fert. Cover lightly with straw.

What do you think?

6. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Skip the straw, you'll just introduce more weed seeds with that.