Help with converting JD 737 into a leaf mulcher?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ijustwantausername, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Ijustwantausername

Ijustwantausername LawnSite Bronze Member

Do I just buy mulching blades and put a cover over the discharge chute so they all stay under the mower?

Trying to avoid buying a bagger this season as I don't have too many accounts with leaves.

Any other options?

2. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

Put the MEG MO blades on your mower along with a 4" wide pice of exspanded metal ( the metal used on the tail gates of the small trailers out 4" in the discharge chute. You will have one of the very best mulching machine in your town.

3. JDiepstra

JDiepstra LawnSite Bronze Member

You can not just put a cover over the discharge if you want to mulch efficiently. You need to get a mulch kit. It is a set of baffles that turns each blade into its own contained area. You should also get the wavy mulching blades. You will be amazed how many leaves you can reduce to dust. Be sure the leaves are dry or you will not be pleased with the result. You might even want to wear a dusk mask as well.

4. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

What I posted in my last post is right and if you want to spend $100.00 and not what I told you to try go ahead. 20 years since the Meg Mo blades have been in services we have been able save people money and improve the mowing which the OEM's have not done in about 70 years.

5. integrityman

integrityman LawnSite Bronze Member

Purchase a mulch kit from the JD dealer & use Mamba blades- Get those from Jthomas.

Id be suspicious of recommendations from MegMo.

Mulch kits are designed with specific baffles to provide a great cut and thorough mulching.

I mulch all my leaves and the finish is very impressive.

I do double cut, but it sure beats bagging and dragging.

Grind em til ya can't find em!!!!

6. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

I said nothing about buying a mulch kit. A set of Meg mo blades and metal that I told about leaves are gone in 1 pass and then the best cut from then on and you will just buy knives at just $4.95@.

7. Ijustwantausername

Ijustwantausername LawnSite Bronze Member

I found the mamba blades, is that what you were talking about with the "wavy"? Can you post a link?

8. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

If you buy the Deere mulching kit, it comes with the "wavy" blades as part of it. I have owned quite a few Deere mulch kits, and they work great for grass (as long as you follow their recommendations, and don't try to take off to much in one pass), and they make short work of leaves, though I have never found that mulching damp leaves was ever a problem. Soaking wet, like after a rain, that's a different story.

The wavy blades look like a std blade for the outer 3 or so inches, but then the cutting edge curves up, and forms a shallow radius on the cutting edge. The blade immediately behind the first part of the cutting edge goes back and up to the sail like a normal blade, but the metal behind the radiused edge actually goes back toward the rear on a slightly downward angle which forces the clippings (after being hit and chopped by the radiused edge) down into the turf.

9. integrityman

No, But I did. That said, slapping a piece of mesh metal on the discharge chute seems like a lousy idea for a mulch kit. Manufactures generally design an aerodynamic baffle that performs as designed.

After all is said and done, and you read thread after thread after thread about meg Mo systems, it seems M-M systems leave a fair degree of uncut grass. Hence, I'm suspicious and unwilling to spend upwards of $200 on a suspect blade.

10. integrityman