Help with Crape Myrtle...

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by jmartin, Aug 8, 2006.

1. jmartin

jmartin LawnSite Member

I recently planted a Crape Myrtle(Natchez), about 3-4 feet tall. It seems to have gone into transplant shock. I have been keeping it watered hoping it will come around. Is there anything else to do to make sure it survives?

2. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Whatz it doing no blooms,sometimes they will not bloom the first few seasons.

3. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

What are it's symptoms?

4. jmartin

jmartin LawnSite Member

it's not the blooms I'm worried about. The leaves are wilting a bit and it dropped a few of it's leaves. I had to keep it in it's container for about a week before planting, but I did keep it watered regularly. It may perk up some as we had a pretty good rain today...

5. FLAhaulboy

FLAhaulboy LawnSite Senior Member

it may recover from transplant shock eventually, with the leaves falling off and new leaves growing back, or the shock may of been to great and it will die. try using some root stimulator to help boost it out of shock.

6. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Don't worry,just keep water to it.Good luck in killing a Crepe Myrtle.

7. FLAhaulboy

FLAhaulboy LawnSite Senior Member

i transplant alot of plants. dig em up, water them, put them back in the ground ASAP. i've had a few crepes die from the shock. it also depends on what time of year you do it, best done in winter months when the sap is down in the rootball. but living here in FL we have mild cold weather, so we do it any ole time but watch out for the 90+ days. it can still be done when its this hot but you have to strenously water it constantly afterwards. root stimulator (sold at walmart,homedepot, lowes) should be used as well.

8. jmartin

jmartin LawnSite Member

Thanks for the tips everyone. The tree is looking a little better. I hate to plant it the hot summer months but we are selling our house and I need to get some of my landscaping done that has been put on the backburner. Hopefully the tree will pull through! Thanks again!