Help with customer problem

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Fvstringpicker, Nov 9, 2004.

1. Fvstringpicker

Fvstringpicker LawnSite Fanatic

I have a commercial customer with 3 businesses on annual contract. (cut, trim, fertilize turf and blow parking lot) I started doing little extras for no charge in my effort to enhance "customer service". i.e. trimming back limbs, spraying weeds in parking lot cracks, and light pruning or some overgrown shrubs, but nothing major. Today I got a complaint that the hedges ( and there's a lot of them) have not been trimmed and does not look up to par with other like businesses (Doctor's offices). Since I am basically at the end of the cutting season and looking forward to a couple or three months of payments with little work, (hey, I made it up this last summer) I told him I'd prune the shrubs since I didn't want him to tell me to basically take a hike at this late date. I am debating whether or not to attach an additional charge but I basically agreed to do the job, in his mind at least, for no additional fee. Is there anyway to correct how I have obviously mishandled the situation? I hate to remain stuck with what is proving to be a change order in the contract with no additional money.
  2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I would just tell him politely, "Well, actually I have been doing the trimming of the hedges at the other places for free, since they are not included in the price, but if you want me to do the other places I will have to at least charge you for that, but don't worry the other place will still be free for this year...just a little thank you to you for being a great customer to me this year."