help with customer

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by jgiles, Jun 11, 2008.

1. jgiles

jgiles LawnSite Member

I installed about 3 yards of mulch in a womens flower beds about a month ago and now there is a lot of slime mold growing in various spots around the house. I have gone out several times and dug up the spots where it was present, but i continually comes back and she is being a royal PITA about it and whining because i didn't use "treated mulch" even though there was never any implication that i was going to. She is really giving me a hard time and whining because she will have to call someone else to come dig it up treat the ground and then remulch. What should I do. such a little job became so much of a problem
  2. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

Did you use hardwood that was chipped up?
    If so, that's a big no-no. The slime you see might be artillery mold. Big headache.

Does'nt come off. Not even with bleach.
    Good luck.
  3. Isobel

Isobel LawnSite Senior Member

I know the type of client that you're talking about. Can't deal with nature in nature type of person.

I would tell her that mold is just a part of nature. it happens.

If she keeps complaining, just walk away.

I had a client once who was convinced her outdoor pond had no bacteria in the water b/c she filled it with distilled water... I couldn't convince her otherwise.
  4. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

How thick is the mulch, what kind is it and what are the conditions of the bed. When mulch is not composted properly, mold and fungus may form and you will not get rid of them if the conditions are right. Less mulch may help, 2"-3" maximum, watering habits can also contribute and the fact that any time one of the areas is disturbed, spores are released to grow new colonies.

Removal and reapplication of a "treated" mulch maybe your only solution if your installation contract did not account for natural occurrences. Better you do it, than can sued because someone else had to do it.

5. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

I've got one customer that started seeing slime mold at her house, and now I'm getting it at my own house.

It has nothing to do with how the mulch was composted, or stored. Slime mold spores are everywhere in the enviroment, and when it finds the perfect spot, it grows.

It's rained so much this year, everything is still soaked and breeding fungus, molds, and diseases.

I'm going to try tilling up my mulch at my house and my client's house to see if I can get an exothermic breakdown started again to sterilize the mulch, and to hopefully get it to dry out some, as it looks like we are going to finally get a break from the rain/ humidity this next week.

Tell your client there is nothing you can treat it with to kill it, she will be throwing money down the drain. Take a book, or any literature with you to reinforce what you tell her. It makes you look like you are trying to do the best for your client.

Good like, PM me if you want to find out my results.
  6. Daily Lawn/Landscape

Daily Lawn/Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

treat area with lime, see if that takes care of your problem. It did for me.
  7. Summit L & D

Summit L & D LawnSite Senior Member

Do a search for a product called Garlic GP. I have had great success using liquified garlic on many similar situations.

I you'll definitely smell it when you're putting it down, but the smell goes away after a couple of hours.