help with cut on lazerhp

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by zap427, Aug 28, 2007.

1. zap427

zap427 LawnSite Member

Hi Terry,

You have helped me in the past with my mower (LazerHP 48 18 Kolher) and I have a new issue.

I live in Lower Michigan and use my mower privately or no commercial activity. Lately when I mow, it appears as if the grass under my tire tracks is not being cut.

It is as if the tire flattens the grass down and the deck does not “pull” it up to be cut. The result, as you can imagine is horrible looking. I have tried what I think are the lift blades but have not changed anything on the mower from last season.

I have not hit anything nor noticed any change in the mowers operation. Everything is the same. The grass between the tire tracks is cut completely, which adds to the bizarre look when finished.

We have had a lot of rain the last few weeks, I am not sure if this has anything to do with it. The neighbor across the street has hers cut by a commercial service (Toro walk behinds) and it looks great.

My deck is clean and blades are sharp.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    Jeff Passmore

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Jeff,

That is bizarre that your unit was cutting well, and now is not. Your best option would be to talk to a local dealer and let them know what's going on. Odds are they can get it cutting properly. If for some reason that doesn't work, please come back here and I'll hook you up w/ our QOC guru.

Luck,
    Casey

3. Hawkshot99

Hawkshot99 LawnSite Bronze Member

Any chance that maybe you always mow the same pattern same direction, and the grass is bent over permanently? Could try mowing different direction to try and fix.

4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Zap,

If it was working good before, but not now, we've got to find what changed. As you mentioned you guys have been getting a ton of rain lately, so we know that's variable, but I think there is probably more to it. I'll list out a few things for you to check.

Deck Rake: On a 48" machine, when you point the blades to the front and back of the machine, the front blade tip should measure about an 1/8" lower than the rear. So if you have your height of cut set at 3", the front blade tip should measure 3" off of the ground and the rear blade tip 3-1/8". Wear to the lift components and tire pressure are the two biggest causes of incorrect rake. Rake is even more important when cutting heavy grass. That's actually what helps the blades lift and discharge the grass effectively.

Blade Tip Speed(BTS): Sometimes high BTS can be detrimental in wet cutting in that it can cause more deck build up. Where you're not seeing a lot of deck build up, I'm going to say we need to look at the other end, in that we've lost BTS. Engine RPM and belt slippage are the two most likely causes for loss of BTS. Your engine RPM should be 3600 no load and it should drop off more than a 100 rpm with the blades engaged. Belt slippage is usually caused by a sticking idler. The old style deck tensioning idlers (which I'm guessing is what you have) need to be greased at least weekly for commercial guys, and then once a month should be greased under no load. No load means that you have removed the belt and spring tension from the idler. This allows grease to distribute all the way around the idler.

Blades: You mentioned that you have tried the 'lift blades'. I'm not sure which blade you're referring to, but I would recommend simply using the notched high lift blade that comes standard with the machine.

I hope this helps. Let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
    Lenny

5. Grasman

Grasman LawnSite Member

Zap, I also am in Lower MI and have seen the same thing. What happens is when we have had alot of rain and the grass gets long it seems to get heavy with all the moisture. The tendency when it is really growing and getting real long is to cut it a little higher. What happens then is the wheels will bend the grass down and because it is heary and with the deck higher you lose vacuum and it won't pick the grass up to be cut. You either have to cut it low and deal with the cut grass or go over it 2 times the 2nd a little lower to get the vacuum. You can also bag it this creates alot of vacuum and it will pick the grass up. Some of my customers water even when it rains and I see this alot. It is just something you have to deal with.

6. zap427

zap427 LawnSite Member

I would like to thank you all for the input.

I do think it may have something to do with the amount of rain here the last few months. However, the neighbor's lawn looks great. One is mowed with Toro zero turn commercial and the other a John Deere rider.

I do seem to have patches of yellow looking grass and wondered if this was a form of disease?

For the fellow from SE Mich, what height are you currently cutting?

Thank you again for the help.
    Zap

7. Grasman

Grasman LawnSite Member

Zap, I use 4 60" Lazers with fuel injected Kohlers. Because of the grass growing so fast with the rain, heavy dew and just right temp's we have had to do some cutting at 4" or higher and we saw the grass laying down from the wheels. This is even cutting every 4 days. I like to cut at 3 1/4 or 3 and I don't see the problem. The end of last week we are back to 3 1/4 on most of the lawns. Lawns that are not watered I may cut at 3 1/2 depending on how they look. I try and control how much water the lawns get by turning the water off and on myself.

8. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

My 2 cents is it is the grass and not the mower

9. treemonkey

treemonkey LawnSite Member

In mid Michigan, we got about 5 inches of rain over the past week and a half. Before that, we had about 7 weeks of drought and the non-irrigated lawns went dormant and very brown.

I noticed after the rain that the grass came back almost like spring growth. It grew very fast and was "spindly" for lack of a better term.

My 56" HP still mowed it excellent, but not quite as well as when the grass
    "stiffens up" a bit. I mowed in damp, not wet, conditions and was mowing at 3.5 to 4 inches, trying to keep up. I use the OEM high lift blades.

So far, I am still impressed with the quality of cut and all other features of this machine.